Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.35.2 is now available
There is a great satisfaction in building good tools for other people to use.
 -- Freeman Dyson

We are pleased to announce version 35.2,
the 3rd development release of version 35 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.35.2 from your
favorite CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.2/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

 22fd7d2e51c89180ea08456b19600c963e0682d4 perl-5.35.2.tar.gz
 d15da41b6b9a482e9cc620bd8a98ab9e43abe1fb perl-5.35.2.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located in
the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/NEILB/perl-5.35.2/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.35.2 represents approximately 5 weeks of development since Perl
5.35.1 and contains approximately 27,000 lines of changes across 420 files
from 25 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there were
approximately 14,000 lines of changes to 200 .pm, .t, .c and .h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to have
contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.35.2:

Atsushi Sugawara, Ben Cornett, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Christian Walde
(Mithaldu), Craig A. Berry, David Golden, David Marshall, Felipe Gasper,
Jakub Wilk, James E Keenan, Karl Williamson, Leam Hall, Leon Timmermans, Max
Maischein, Neil Bowers, Nicholas Clark, Paul Evans, Paul Marquess, Richard
Leach, Sawyer X, Sergey Poznyakoff, Sven Kirmess, Thibault Duponchelle, Todd
Rinaldo, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not include
the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who reported issues to
the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN modules
included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN community for
helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors, please
see the F<AUTHORS> file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 35.3 on 20th August 2021.
The next major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of 2022.

Cheers,
Neil
Re: Perl 5.35.2 is now available [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 23, 2021, at 9:28 AM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> There is a great satisfaction in building good tools for other people to use.

Very true.

I have installed it, installed all my usual CPAN stuff, it all worked (module one known bug <https://github.com/Test-More/Test2-Harness/issues/228> in Test2::Harness), and now this is my day to day perl! Thanks!

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.35.2 is now available [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 9:18 AM Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
wrote:

> I have installed it, installed all my usual CPAN stuff, it all worked
> (module one known bug
> <https://github.com/Test-More/Test2-Harness/issues/228> in
> Test2::Harness), and now this is my day to day perl! Thanks!

For me, on Windows 7, 'gmake install' fails with:

..\perl.exe -I..\lib ..\installhtml --podroot=.. --htmldir=.\html \
--podpath=pod:lib:utils --htmlroot="file://C|\perl-5.35.2-1110\html"\
--recurse
"anchorify" is not exported by the Pod::Html module
"relativize_url" is not exported by the Pod::Html module
Can't continue after import errors at ..\installhtml line 11.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ..\installhtml line 11.
make: *** [GNUmakefile:1736: doc] Error 255

Sure enough, the installhtml script specifies:
use Pod::Html 1.23 qw(anchorify relativize_url);

However, version 1.31 of Pod/Html.pm (which is the version of Pod::Html
that ships with 5.35.2) exports neither "anchorify" nor "relativize_url"
Am I the only person experiencing this issue ?

It seems to me that installhtml needs to be rewritten to accommodate the
significant alterations that have been made to Html.pm since the
perl-5.35.1 release.

Perl itself is installed ok, and seems to be functioning correctly.

Cheers,
Rob
Re: Perl 5.35.2 is now available [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 24, 2021 at 5:25 AM sisyphus <sisyphus359@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, on Windows 7, 'gmake install' fails with:
>
> ..\perl.exe -I..\lib ..\installhtml --podroot=.. --htmldir=.\html \
> --podpath=pod:lib:utils --htmlroot="file://C|\perl-5.35.2-1110\html"\
> --recurse
> "anchorify" is not exported by the Pod::Html module
> "relativize_url" is not exported by the Pod::Html module
> Can't continue after import errors at ..\installhtml line 11.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ..\installhtml line 11.
> make: *** [GNUmakefile:1736: doc] Error 255
>
> Sure enough, the installhtml script specifies:
> use Pod::Html 1.23 qw(anchorify relativize_url);
>
> However, version 1.31 of Pod/Html.pm (which is the version of Pod::Html that ships with 5.35.2) exports neither "anchorify" nor "relativize_url"
> Am I the only person experiencing this issue ?

This was broken by
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/commit/d32e5dc4f13e3a8f42c445ab32d50f7aff8d1cd7.
Previously, htmlify and anchorify were documented functions available
from Pod::Html. relativize_url was also exportable, although it was
not included in the documentation.