Mailing List Archive

Legacy perls WAS Re: PSC #025 2021-06-18 minutes
> On Jun 27, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Paul LeoNerd Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:
>
> I have so far not yet encountered a case where anyone cared about a
> perl older than 5.16.

System perl on CloudLinux 6--which remains under support--is 5.10.

I don’t know how important that is, but it’s worth noting as at least one example of an older perl that ships default with a supported OS.

-F
Re: Legacy perls WAS Re: PSC #025 2021-06-18 minutes [ In reply to ]
> > I have so far not yet encountered a case where anyone cared about a
> >
> > perl older than 5.16.
>
> System perl on CloudLinux 6--which remains under support--is 5.10.
>
> I don’t know how important that is, but it’s worth noting as at least one example of an older perl that ships default with a supported OS.

Good data point, Felipe.

Before someone claims that because CL 6 is based on CentOS 6 doesn't matter because Cent 6 is EOL; CloudLinux 6 is LTS until 2024 and there are a lot of folks running cPanel/WHM who likely found it easier to "upgrade" to CL 6 from Cent 6 rather than upgrade to CentOS 7/8/???.

This is what I did, yet another case where proscrastation "paid off". Anyway, this is in reference to the base perl which is not what WHM uses; but there are still likely a fair amount of machines tht will keep 5.10 around simply because of this LTS of CL 6.

https://blog.cpanel.com/centos-6-eol-cloudlinux-6-os-and-you/

Cheers,
Brett