Is there any alternative way?

Many thanks

Wolf
Re: Bug reports from WinXP? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM Wolf-Dietrich Moeller (Munchen) <
wolf-dietrich_moeller@t-online.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> it seems that I am cut off from submitting bug reports since the closure
> of 'perlbug@perl.org'.
>
> Having only access to WinXP, I can read github issues, but github does not
> support account creation from any browser on WinXP. Thus I cannot submit
> anything (or write any comment to an existing issue).
>
> Is there any alternative way?

The alternative is sending a message to the perl5-porters list as you have
done, and hoping that someone is generous enough to open an issue in your
stead.

Note that Windows XP is out of support since April 8, 2014, and likely
subject to countless unpatched vulnerabilities at this point.

-Dan
RE: Bug reports from WinXP? [ In reply to ]
Dan Book wrote:

> The alternative is sending a message to the perl5-porters list as you have done,
> and hoping that someone is generous enough to open an issue in your stead.

I was thinking about that also, but I am still hesitating, as I do not want to bother all subscribers of the list with topics the list is not intended for.
So maybe I first try to contact the authors of the modules directly (by their mail address in documentation). Hopefully they will check their accounts given there regularly.
And I will come back to your suggestion as last resort only.
Again thanks
Wolf
Re: Bug reports from WinXP? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 11:39:35AM -0400, Dan Book wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 8:46 AM Wolf-Dietrich Moeller (Munchen) <
> wolf-dietrich_moeller@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > it seems that I am cut off from submitting bug reports since the closure
> > of 'perlbug@perl.org'.
> >
> > Having only access to WinXP, I can read github issues, but github does not
> > support account creation from any browser on WinXP. Thus I cannot submit
> > anything (or write any comment to an existing issue).

"only access" implies that you can't even boot your machine from a USB stick
to run a Linux live image to create an account?
(Or use a smartphone, maybe a friend's, to create an account?)

and then use those account credentials on the XP machine to log in?

(It's not clear whether GitHub forbids login on any XP browser. I can't test
this, and I guess you can't either, as you don't have an account (yet))

> > Is there any alternative way?
> >

> The alternative is sending a message to the perl5-porters list as you have
> done, and hoping that someone is generous enough to open an issue in your
> stead.

Yes, this is the best way.

It would also be useful to send perl -V output in the bug report.
(please remove the hostnames - it's the compiler version and similar that is
interesting)

> Note that Windows XP is out of support since April 8, 2014, and likely
> subject to countless unpatched vulnerabilities at this point.

It does seem really risky using XP on any machine that's permitted to
connect to the Internet. If I had to use it* I'd really want it just doing
that task, and it as firewalled as possible.

Nicholas Clark

* eg an ex-work previous door entry system only ran on Windows 2000. So that
was kept as locked down as possible, until the door locks were finally
replaced with newer hardware. That assumed Windows 7. That would be out of
support well before the hardware would die...
Re: Bug reports from WinXP? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 09:18:04 +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:

> and then use those account credentials on the XP machine to log in?
> (It's not clear whether GitHub forbids login on any XP browser. I can't test
> this, and I guess you can't either, as you don't have an account (yet))

When I access GitHub on Windows XP with Firefox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit)
the website greets me with "GitHub no longer supports this web
browser. Learn more about the browsers we support." (the second
sentence being a link to
https://docs.github.com/en/github/getting-started-with-github/using-github/supported-browsers
)

When I click on "Sign in" and then on https://github.com/login enter
my account credentials, I can login as usual (and the warning banner
about the unsupported browser goes away).

After that the "experience" is not overwhelming, I see more spinning
circles/hour glasses than any actual content on the starting page.

But opening https://github.com/Perl/perl5/issues works and it looks
"normal". On a sample issue I can type in the comment box but
clicking on "Preview" does nothing (haven't tried to actually send
the comment).

Logging out doesn't work, as the pulldown at my avatar only say
"<Hourglass> <Warning Sign> Sorry, something went wrong."

Cheers,
gregor

--
.''`. https://info.comodo.priv.at -- Debian Developer https://www.debian.org
: :' : OpenPGP fingerprint D1E1 316E 93A7 60A8 104D 85FA BB3A 6801 8649 AA06
RE: Bug reports from WinXP? [ In reply to ]
On June 18, 2021 15:55, gregor herrmann wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2021 09:18:04 +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
>,
>> and then use those account credentials on the XP machine to log in?
>> (It's not clear whether GitHub forbids login on any XP browser. I can't test
>> this, and I guess you can't either, as you don't have an account (yet))

> When I access GitHub on Windows XP with Firefox ESR 52.9.0 (32-bit)
> the website greets me with "GitHub no longer supports this web
> browser. Learn more about the browsers we support." .......

I tried the above and ...:
A friend of mine created an account for me from his machine. Then I confirmed email and device from my machine, with the Firefox 52.9.0 ESR (32bit) (same version as gregor, as this is the last ESR version for XP).
Signing in also works, and after going to perl5 pages, I could open issues (i.e. submit bug reports). I did not yet try comments, but hopefully that will work also.

Thus many thanks to all who gave me hints and support
Wolf

PS. And a note on the warnings on WinXP. I fully agree with such warnings, and based on many years experience in IT security R&D I can add: You must clearly know what to do (and what not to do) when using SW after EOL.