Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.34.0 is now available!
Our greatest power as nations and individuals is not the ability to
employ assault weapons, suicide bombers, and drones to destroy each
other.
The greater more creative powers with which we may arm ourselves are
grace and compassion sufficient enough to love and save each other.

-- Aberjhani

We are thrilled to announce perl v5.34.0, the first stable release of
version 34 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.34.0 from your favorite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.34.0/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

870b4e1ffe33f94a4996a4acbbcebb8422c5e73a perl-5.34.0.tar.gz
d461e206a1dca5e79d39e77debf0b564f6d77d37 perl-5.34.0.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod"
located in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.34.0/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.34.0 represents approximately 11 months of development since
Perl 5.32.0 and contains approximately 280,000 lines of changes across
2,100 files from 78 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 150,000 lines of changes to 1,300 .pm, .t, .c and
.h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.34.0:

Aaron Crane, Adam Hartley, Andy Dougherty, Ben Cornett, Branislav
Zahradník, brian d foy, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Christian Walde
(Mithaldu), Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Dan Book, Daniel
Böhmer, Daniel Laügt, Dan Kogai, David Cantrell, David Mitchell,
Dominic Hamon, E. Choroba, Ed J, Eric Herman, Eric Lindblad, Eugene
Alvin Villar, Felipe Gasper, Giovanni Tataranni, Graham Knop, Graham
Ollis, Hauke D, H.Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, Ichinose Shogo,
Ivan Baidakou, Jae Bradley, James E Keenan, Jason McIntosh, jkahrman,
John Karr, John Lightsey, Kang-min Liu, Karen Etheridge, Karl
Williamson, Keith Thompson, Leon Timmermans, Marc Reisner, Marcus
Holland-Moritz, Max Maischein, Michael G Schwern, Nicholas Clark,
Nicolas R., Paul Evans, Petr Písa?, raiph, Renee Baecker, Ricardo
Signes, Richard Leach, Romano, Ryan Voots, Samanta Navarro, Samuel
Thibault, Sawyer X, Scott Baker, Sergey Poznyakoff, Sevan Janiyan,
Shirakata Kentaro, Shlomi Fish, Sisyphus, Sizhe Zhao, Steve Hay, TAKAI
Kousuke, Thibault Duponchelle, Todd Rinaldo, Tomasz Konojacki, Tom
Hukins, Tom Stellard, Tony Cook, vividsnow, Yves Orton, Zakariyya
Mughal, ?????? ????????.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release the next development version imminently. The next
major stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of 2022.

Stay safe,
In hugs and bugs,
Sawyer X.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]

Thank you for this release :-)

Leon
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Sawyer

Thank you very much!

By the way, everyone,

Will there be an official Perl 5.34 release article on Perl.com?

I feel that it is necessary to explain the summary of new features of Perl
5.34 such as experimental try catch and its relevance to Perl 7.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 21 May 2021 07:46:19 +0900
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel that it is necessary to explain the summary of new features of
> Perl 5.34 such as experimental try catch and its relevance to Perl 7.

For the latter I refer you to

https://perl7faq.grinnz.com

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-21 8:06 Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd@leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 May 2021 07:46:19 +0900
> Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I feel that it is necessary to explain the summary of new features of
> > Perl 5.34 such as experimental try catch and its relevance to Perl 7.
>
> For the latter I refer you to
>
> https://perl7faq.grinnz.com

Thank you for the link.

If we agree with the content, Next is an announcement for general users.

Is it possible to include it in the official release article of Perl 5.34?
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, May 20, 2021, at 4:14 PM, Sawyer X wrote:
> We are thrilled to announce perl v5.34.0, the first stable release of version 34 of Perl 5.

Thanks very much for this, Sawyer, and for all the hard work you've put into the project. And on a very specific note, thank you for leaving blead in a very good state for releasing v5.35.0. The dot-zero releases are the ones most full of tedious edge cases, because they happen only twice a year, and are nearly alway both done by the same person within a few hours. I hadn't done one in years, and it was really nice to find that you'd done a lot of the junk work for me. I appreciated it.

If you come back to do another release of perl sometime, I will try to make sure things are in nice shape for *you*.

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> writes:
> Will there be an official Perl 5.34 release article on Perl.com?
>
> I feel that it is necessary to explain the summary of new features of Perl
> 5.34 such as experimental try catch and its relevance to Perl 7.

I couldn't recall the last time (if any) when perl.com published an
article about new releases of perl. Although that's probably not a bad
idea.

However, the group of writers might not be monitoring this p5p mailing
list. If you would like to see that happen, perhaps it's easier to visit
their github repo: https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom

Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-24 9:57 Kang-min Liu <gugod@gugod.org>:

> Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> writes:
> > Will there be an official Perl 5.34 release article on Perl.com?
> >
> > I feel that it is necessary to explain the summary of new features of
> Perl
> > 5.34 such as experimental try catch and its relevance to Perl 7.
>
> I couldn't recall the last time (if any) when perl.com published an
> article about new releases of perl. Although that's probably not a bad
> idea.
>
> However, the group of writers might not be monitoring this p5p mailing
> list. If you would like to see that happen, perhaps it's easier to visit
> their github repo: https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom
>
> --

Personally, I think the official announcement of the release of the new
Perl version to the outside world is very important.

I think people in the world are aware that Perl.com is used for official
announcements.

I would like to see the official announcement article which Perl core
team create in Perl.com.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> writes:
> I think people in the world are aware that Perl.com is used for official
> announcements.

I doubt this would actually be the case -- although such speculation
(whether perl.com is the official channel) cannot be confirmed without
doing a round of questionares.

Well... if we search just "perl" with both Google and Duckduckgo,
perl.org is at the top of the result and perl.com seems to be a bit
further down.

Bing gives me very different result somehow -- neither perl.org nor
perl.com shows up at the front.

This "indirect evidence" probably suggest that the site perl.org is
"more official". At least some search engine had learned it this way.
(This *is* correct since perl.com was owned by O'Reilly and latter
changed hands a few times.)

It's probably natural that people also learn that perl.org is "the
website of Perl language" but not perl.com.

Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-24 23:10 Kang-min Liu <gugod@gugod.org> wrote:

It's probably natural that people also learn that perl.org is "the
> website of Perl language" but not perl.com.

I don't know how others feel, so I'll write about my feelings.

Perl 7 was announced on perl.com. As far as I know, all of the media quoted
this for Perl 7

https://www.perl.com/article/announcing-perl-7/

perl.org is official, on the other hand, perl.org doesn't have its own news
page. Perl News on the footer of perl.org is linked to perl.com

So I feel that the official Perl news is posted on perl.com.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 8:17 PM Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2021-5-24 23:10 Kang-min Liu <gugod@gugod.org> wrote:
>
> It's probably natural that people also learn that perl.org is "the
>> website of Perl language" but not perl.com.
>>

> I don't know how others feel, so I'll write about my feelings.
>
> Perl 7 was announced on perl.com. As far as I know, all of the media
> quoted this for Perl 7
>
> https://www.perl.com/article/announcing-perl-7/
>
> perl.org is official, on the other hand, perl.org doesn't have its own
> news page. Perl News on the footer of perl.org is linked to perl.com
>
> So I feel that the official Perl news is posted on perl.com.

That's generally correct. Just that perl.com is community news, the
developers don't write posts there. I agree that it would be a good idea to
post an announcement there.

-Dan
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-25 9:23 Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

That's generally correct. Just that perl.com is community news, the
> developers don't write posts there. I agree that it would be a good idea to
> post an announcement there.

Could the Perl Core Team write an announcement of Perl 5.34 new release and
post it to perl.com for general users?

It's best to do this at the same time as the release, but I don't think
there was such a habit until now.

perldelta is written in detail, this is the real detail.

I would like to see the summary for the general users in the place where it
is generally notified.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> writes:
> Could the Perl Core Team write an announcement of Perl 5.34 new
> release and post it to perl.com for general users?

pumpkins are already busy dealing with workflows of doing releases --
it's probably not constructive to add one more "small task" to a
workload that's already big.

I believe it'd be more feasible to let the writers of perl.com to just
re-post the announcement emails to perl.com. Perhaps you're willing
to be a writer and submit a PR to https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom :)

Something as simple as pasting the the text email is probably good
enough, like this repost on LWN https://lwn.net/Articles/856926/

Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-25 17:34 Kang-min Liu <gugod@gugod.org> wrote:

> I believe it'd be more feasible to let the writers of perl.com to just
> re-post the announcement emails to perl.com. Perhaps you're willing
> to be a writer and submit a PR to https://github.com/tpf/perldotcom :)
>
> Something as simple as pasting the the text email is probably good
> enough, like this repost on LWN https://lwn.net/Articles/856926/

Sorry, I don't currently have that permission.

If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can do
it.

I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Hi Kimoto-san,
> If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can do it.
> I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.

Thank you for offering to do this — it would be great if you could draft a release announcement, for example in Google docs, and then share it for us to review.

Cheers,
Neil
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-27 5:01 Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Hi Kimoto-san,
>
> If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can
> do it.
> I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.
>

> Thank you for offering to do this — it would be great if you could draft a
> release announcement, for example in Google docs, and then share it for us
> to review.
>
> Cheers,
> Neil

OK. I will write the draft release announcement by this saturday.

I'm not native, so feel free to correct any bad expressions and expressions
that are too exaggerated or misleading.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
> 2021-5-27 5:01 Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Kimoto-san,
>>
>> If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can
>> do it.
>> I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.
>>

>> Thank you for offering to do this — it would be great if you could draft
>> a release announcement, for example in Google docs, and then share it for
>> us to review.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Neil

I wrote the Perl 5.34 announcement today in google doc.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i2abtm21-iCg31pHnYJnz6Re-ObuhSq_Hfin6XmuFIY/edit?usp=sharing

Please review this.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 29 May 2021 at 04:10, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

>> 2021-5-27 5:01 Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Kimoto-san,
>>>
>>> If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can do it.
>>> I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.
>>>

>>> Thank you for offering to do this — it would be great if you could draft a release announcement, for example in Google docs, and then share it for us to review.
>>>

> I wrote the Perl 5.34 announcement today in google doc.
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i2abtm21-iCg31pHnYJnz6Re-ObuhSq_Hfin6XmuFIY/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Please review this.

You probably want to make it publicly available.

Dave...
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-29 17:19 Dave Cross <dave@dave.org.uk>:

> You probably want to make it publicly available.

Yes. I wait for the review.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 is now available! [ In reply to ]
2021-5-27 5:01 Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Hi Kimoto-san,
>
> If the Perl Core team allows me to write the release announcement, I can
> do it.
> I'm willing to write, but I need permission from the Perl core team.
>

> Thank you for offering to do this — it would be great if you could draft a
> release announcement, for example in Google docs, and then share it for us
> to review.
>
> Cheers,
> Neil

I add write permission to the google spreadsheet for you. Please review it.