Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: "platforms" and "support" [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 18, 2021 at 10:17:12PM +0100, Neil Bowers wrote:
> > Under Tier 4, the phrase
> > We won't accept patches (unless we're expecting/want it to move up)
> > seems unnecessarily unfriendly. If a patch is simple and unobtrusive,I'd hope we would accept it. If it's an invasive patch, of course, somehesitancy before applying would certainly be appropriate.
>
> How about something like:
>
>     We won’t accept complex / intrusive patches unless we’re expecting/want it to move up to tier 3.
>     Minor platform-specific patches may be accepted, but doing so will move the platform up to tier 3, by definition.

I confess I don't understand why you need to say anything at all. I don't understand
why patches to add a platform should be viewed any differently from any other sort of
patches. They have benefits, but also costs and risks.

If you feel you must say something, I think it should simply be a welcoming phrase,
perhaps something vaguely like

If you would like to add a new platform to perl, welcome! Please discuss your
plans on the perl5-porters@perl.org mailing list to see what might be feasible.

--
Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu
Re: "platforms" and "support" [ In reply to ]
2021-6-19 9:32 Andy Dougherty <doughera@lafayette.edu> wrote:

> If you feel you must say something, I think it should simply be a
> welcoming phrase,
> perhaps something vaguely like
>
> If you would like to add a new platform to perl, welcome! Please
> discuss your
> plans on the perl5-porters@perl.org mailing list to see what might be
> feasible.
>
> --
> Andy Dougherty doughera@lafayette.edu

It may be possible to have a conversation in p5p to reduce the work of the
PSC and Perl core teams.

1 2  View All