Mailing List Archive

Improving p5p
Following on from the "On community hostility …" email[1], the PSC want to start actively working on improving the discourse on p5p. The tone and signal-to-noise ratio is driving people away, discouraging lurkers from contributing, and putting off new subscribers. We're missing out on contributions from people with deep experience of Perl and p5p.

Over the coming weeks, we're going to introduce a number of topics related to this, each in their own thread, to propose some basic principles. We welcome on-topic discussion on each of those threads, but please reflect on your thoughts before posting (e.g. draft them, sleep on them, bounce off someone else, etc).

We'll then start to actively monitor behaviour in those areas, and nudge people as appropriate. Change like this doesn't happen overnight, so we need to be patient, but also to start holding each other to these principles, without jumping on each other for every infraction.

Places such as IRC, twitter, and Perl Monks are beyond our remit, but when p5p members are discussing p5p/perl topics there, they are going to be seen as an extension of p5p, so we're hoping these ideas will be applied elsewhere.

Neil