Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available!
He’d irrationally hoped he could somehow put off indefinitely the
future day on which she would recognize cruelty, ignorance, and
injustice were the struts and pillars of the social order, as
unavoidable and inevitable as the weather.

-- Paul Tremblay, The Cabin at the End of the World

We are glad to announce the first RC, RC1, of Perl 5.34.0.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.34.0-RC1 from your favorite
CPAN mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.34.0-RC1/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

1c9e596562f44389c3b2b014f2b5e53de14a2ddf perl-5.34.0-RC1.tar.gz
267f07796994a2d9a83e95fb02426549262c4923 perl-5.34.0-RC1.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod"
located in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web at

https://metacpan.org/pod/release/XSAWYERX/perl-5.34.0-RC1/pod/perldelta.pod

Perl 5.34.0 represents approximately 10 months of development since
Perl 5.32.0 and contains approximately 280,000 lines of changes across
2,100 files from 77 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 150,000 lines of changes to 1,300 .pm, .t, .c and
.h files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.34.0:

Aaron Crane, Adam Hartley, Andy Dougherty, Ben Cornett, Branislav
Zahradník, brian d foy, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams, Christian Walde
(Mithaldu), Craig A. Berry, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker, Dan Book, Daniel
Böhmer, Daniel Laügt, Dan Kogai, David Cantrell, David Mitchell,
Dominic Hamon, E. Choroba, Ed J, Eric Herman, Eric Lindblad, Eugene
Alvin Villar, Felipe Gasper, Giovanni Tataranni, Graham Knop, Graham
Ollis, Hauke D, H.Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, Ichinose Shogo,
Ivan Baidakou, Jae Bradley, James E Keenan, Jason McIntosh, jkahrman,
John Karr, John Lightsey, Kang-min Liu, Karen Etheridge, Karl
Williamson, Keith Thompson, Leon Timmermans, Marc Reisner, Marcus
Holland-Moritz, Max Maischein, Michael G Schwern, Nicholas Clark,
Nicolas R., Paul Evans, Petr Písa?, raiph, Renee Baecker, Ricardo
Signes, Richard Leach, Romano, Ryan Voots, Samanta Navarro, Samuel
Thibault, Sawyer X, Scott Baker, Sergey Poznyakoff, Sevan Janiyan,
Shlomi Fish, Sisyphus, Sizhe Zhao, Steve Hay, TAKAI Kousuke, Thibault
Duponchelle, Todd Rinaldo, Tomasz Konojacki, Tom Hukins, Tom Stellard,
Tony Cook, vividsnow, Yves Orton, Zakariyya Mughal, ?????? ????????.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

The next RC (RC2) should come in the coming week from today.

We expect 5.34.0 to be out at - or around - May 20th.

In hugs and bugs,
Sawyer X.
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
Sawyer

Thank you for the release in a difficult situation.

Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
I for one am very happy to see the very superior new octal syntax 0oddddd added
to Perl.

I remember expressly asking for this around a decade ago and offering to sponsor
it but that didn't go anywhere.

Its a small thing but something that Raku got right a long time ago, much better
than simple leading zero meaning octal.

Good to see it now.

-- Darren Duncan
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
It is a great change! Will the old syntax be disabled with something like
"use v5.34.0;"?

I got burned at least once by forgetting about this syntax. This may still
look confusing to beginners:

$ perl -e 'print 010+1'
9

--Vlado

Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:36 AM Vlado Keselj <vlado@dnlp.ca> wrote:

> It is a great change! Will the old syntax be disabled with something like
> "use v5.34.0;"?
>
> I got burned at least once by forgetting about this syntax. This may still
> look confusing to beginners:
>
> $ perl -e 'print 010+1'
> 9

There's no plan for that at the moment.

-Dan
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 5:01 PM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:36 AM Vlado Keselj <vlado@dnlp.ca> wrote:
>

>> It is a great change! Will the old syntax be disabled with something
>> like
>> "use v5.34.0;"?
>>
>> I got burned at least once by forgetting about this syntax. This may
>> still
>> look confusing to beginners:
>>
>> $ perl -e 'print 010+1'
>> 9
>>

> There's no plan for that at the moment.
>
> -Dan

A lot of IP modules for different languages got burnt by that as well
recently.
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
I would not expect "use 5.34" to disable the old syntax since it only just
introduces the new syntax.

However, I feel that it would be great to have other changes that discourage the
use of the problematic old syntax, such as warnings or a feature pragma that
disables the old format like we have one to disable indirect method calls etc,
or both, and perhaps a "use" for the next major version could block the usage.

-- Darren Duncan

Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 1:59 AM Darren Duncan <darren@darrenduncan.net>
wrote:

> I would not expect "use 5.34" to disable the old syntax since it only just
> introduces the new syntax.
>
> However, I feel that it would be great to have other changes that
> discourage the
> use of the problematic old syntax, such as warnings or a feature pragma
> that
> disables the old format like we have one to disable indirect method calls
> etc,
> or both, and perhaps a "use" for the next major version could block the
> usage.

IMHO this is a task for Perl::Critic, not perl.

Leon
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 5 May 2021 at 00:28, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are glad to announce the first RC, RC1, of Perl 5.34.0.

Sorry for not testing this sooner, but I've found in the course of
reviewing #18781 that www.mingw.org gcc compilers no longer build perl
(blead or this RC):

Win32.xs: In function 'w32_GetProcessPrivileges':
Win32.xs:1615:32: error: 'SE_PRIVILEGE_REMOVED' undeclared (first use
in this function)
if (priv->Attributes & SE_PRIVILEGE_REMOVED)
^
Win32.xs:1615:32: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only
once for each function it appears in
Win32.xs: In function 'w32_IsDeveloperModeEnabled':
Win32.xs:1673:9: error: 'RRF_RT_REG_DWORD' undeclared (first use in
this function)
RRF_RT_REG_DWORD | KEY_WOW64_64KEY,
^
Win32.xs:1673:28: error: 'KEY_WOW64_64KEY' undeclared (first use in
this function)
RRF_RT_REG_DWORD | KEY_WOW64_64KEY,
^
gmake[1]: *** [Makefile:335: Win32.o] Error 1
gmake[1]: Leaving directory 'D:/Temp/perl-5.34.0-RC1/cpan/Win32'
Unsuccessful make(cpan/Win32): code=512 at ..\make_ext.pl line 584.
gmake: *** [GNUmakefile:1695: Extensions] Error 2

We did have support for 3.4.5 through 5.3.0, although later versions
were already failing due to other issues (see #18510).

Presumably the breakage was introduced by commit
edfcb93db2c5e42e47f867b5f2b73a3320a6487e (hence Cc'ing xenu).

I've just tried an old MinGW-w64 gcc (4.5.3) and it still builds perl
okay, so unless there is a simple fix to the above then maybe it's
time to drop support for the old www.mingw.org compilers?
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 01:28:32PM +0100, Steve Hay via perl5-porters wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 2021 at 00:28, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We are glad to announce the first RC, RC1, of Perl 5.34.0.
> >

> Sorry for not testing this sooner, but I've found in the course of
> reviewing #18781 that www.mingw.org gcc compilers no longer build perl
> (blead or this RC):

[relevant details]

> I've just tried an old MinGW-w64 gcc (4.5.3) and it still builds perl
> okay, so unless there is a simple fix to the above then maybe it's
> time to drop support for the old www.mingw.org compilers?

Is there any (old) version of Win32 that MinGW-w64 gcc 4.5.3 doesn't support,
but an older MinGW gcc *would*. ie, does anything contradict the idea that,
for all platforms, however prehistoric, we just say:

you need to upgrade your compiler to 4.5.3

?

Nicholas Clark
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 10 May 2021 at 13:42, Nicholas Clark <nick@ccl4.org> wrote:
> Is there any (old) version of Win32 that MinGW-w64 gcc 4.5.3 doesn't support,
> but an older MinGW gcc *would*. ie, does anything contradict the idea that,
> for all platforms, however prehistoric, we just say:
>
> you need to upgrade your compiler to 4.5.3
>
> ?

[.Sorry - only just seen this since Gmail kindly decided to put your
message in my Spam folder! The reason why is apparently somewhere
within this document, but I am never going to read it all...:
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126 ]

I think MinGW-w64's gcc-4.5.3 is sufficiently ancient itself (the
build I have is from 2012-04-30) that I don't think this would be a
problem.
Re: Perl 5.34.0-RC1 is now available! [ In reply to ]

This fixes all the build issues with MinGW.org: https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/18783