Soon, v5.35.0 will be here, and we will be getting to work in earnest on the next version of Perl. Lots to do!

One thing to do, I think, is to begin a review of our outstanding experiments Did you know we have *fifteen* of them? Several weren't collected in perlexperiment. In fact, I found enough through casual looking-around that I'm not certain that we won't find that we've stuck a "this is experimental" label on some other things not yet counted.

In the meantime, I have tried to make sure that we have a GitHub issue for each experiment, where we'll keep track of its status. This includes, most especially: "Is it time to call this experiment over?" You can see the list here:

https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment

Over the next few weeks, I'll begin going through these one by one, posting notes and requests for information, and trying to get things moving. This email is a heads-up, and most definitely *not* a call for anybody to try to get this started early. We can't review all 15 at once usefully, so let's not try.

On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called experimental but not listed there, let me know. I'd like to get the documentation correct in v5.34.0.

--
rjbs
Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 30, 2021 at 7:40 PM Ricardo Signes <perl.p5p@rjbs.manxome.org>
wrote:

> Porters,
>
> Soon, v5.35.0 will be here, and we will be getting to work in earnest on
> the next version of Perl. Lots to do!
>
> One thing to do, I think, is to begin a review of our outstanding
> experiments Did you know we have *fifteen* of them? Several weren't
> collected in perlexperiment. In fact, I found enough through casual
> looking-around that I'm not certain that we won't find that we've stuck a
> "this is experimental" label on some other things not yet counted.
>
> In the meantime, I have tried to make sure that we have a GitHub issue for
> each experiment, where we'll keep track of its status. This includes, most
> especially: "Is it time to call this experiment over?" You can see the
> list here:
>
> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment
>
> Over the next few weeks, I'll begin going through these one by one,
> posting notes and requests for information, and trying to get things
> moving. This email is a heads-up, and most definitely *not* a call for
> anybody to try to get this started early. We can't review all 15 at once
> usefully, so let's not try.
>
> On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called
> experimental but not listed there, let me know. I'd like to get the
> documentation correct in v5.34.0.

Can you please add links to the POD describing the feature?

Thanks, Alex

Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
Ricardo Signes wrote on 30 April on p5p:

> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment
>
> [...] On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called experimental but not listed there, let me know.

FWIW, there are numerous perlapi functions that are currently marked "experimental". Here's a list:

https://gist.github.com/johannessen/a3b6c416b507d7230344cc6cf995bc9f

Some of these have been "experimental" for a long time, for example bytes_to_utf8 since 5.7.0.

--
Arne Johannessen
Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
On 5/4/21 6:24 AM, Arne Johannessen wrote:
> Ricardo Signes wrote on 30 April on p5p:
>>
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment
>>
>> [...] On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called experimental but not listed there, let me know.
>

> FWIW, there are numerous perlapi functions that are currently marked "experimental". Here's a list:
>
> https://gist.github.com/johannessen/a3b6c416b507d7230344cc6cf995bc9f
>
> Some of these have been "experimental" for a long time, for example bytes_to_utf8 since 5.7.0.

I asked years ago about that particular function, along with others, and
got no response as to why it was experimental.
Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
> On May 4, 2021, at 8:24 AM, Arne Johannessen <arne-9544@thaw.de> wrote:
>
> Ricardo Signes wrote on 30 April on p5p:
>>
>> https://github.com/Perl/perl5/labels/experiment
>>
>> [...] On the other hand, if you believe we have other things that are called experimental but not listed there, let me know.
>

> FWIW, there are numerous perlapi functions that are currently marked "experimental". Here's a list:
>
> https://gist.github.com/johannessen/a3b6c416b507d7230344cc6cf995bc9f
>
> Some of these have been "experimental" for a long time, for example bytes_to_utf8 since 5.7.0.

Should ones like the UTF-8/UTF-16 conversion functions be in this list as well?

-FG
Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 4, 2021, at 8:24 AM, Arne Johannessen wrote:
> FWIW, there are numerous perlapi functions that are currently marked "experimental". Here's a list:
>
> https://gist.github.com/johannessen/a3b6c416b507d7230344cc6cf995bc9f
>
> Some of these have been "experimental" for a long time, for example bytes_to_utf8 since 5.7.0.

So far, "experimental perlapi" has been mostly out of scope for "perlexperiment", which is *mostly* but not *entirely* "stuff that generates an expermental-category warning."

I agree we should untangle this mess, but I am not the best person to undertake that.

--
rjbs
Re: landing experiments during v5.35.0 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 2, 2021, at 5:58 AM, Alexander Hartmaier wrote:
> Can you please add links to the POD describing the feature?

This would be good. I am not likely to do this work any time very soon, and certainly not before 5.34.0. If nothing else, the Pod can be updated in blead as we work through the list.

--
rjbs