Following the decision to go with "use v7", we now need to work out what 7.0 is going to look like. Given we're going to be pushing adoption of "use v7", and will also be making noise about Perl 7, we want to provide some real bang for your buck. We came up with a list of topics to raise individually on p5p, to help us work out the definition of Perl 7 together. Neil will kick off those discussions.

In the shorter term, Rik will start the ball rolling on what's going to be in 5.35, so we can keep the train moving forward.

Following our email earlier this week, we talked about some of the behaviours we think need to change on p5p. This is not only about hostility/tone, but wanting to improve the quality of the discussion, so signal-to-noise ratio, broader participation, etc. Over the coming weeks we'll introduce different aspects of this, and plan to start nudging behaviour on-list (and on GitHub). We've started reading on this topic, and welcome pointers to resources for this, but send them to us please (steering-council@perl.org). This topic is a tar pit for bike-shedding, so please be considerate if you do join the discussion on this topic.
Re: PSC #016 2021-04-16 [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 18, 2021, at 6:31 PM, Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:
>
> We've started reading on this topic, and welcome pointers to resources for this, but send them to us please (steering-council@perl.org).

Can you point to the resources you have identified already? I find myself curious about similar issues. If for some reason you don’t want to open that list up to public discussion, I wouldn’t mind having some pointers to resources off list or in private.

Thanks!
- Chris
Re: PSC #016 2021-04-16 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 00:31:05 +0200, Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> we want to provide some real bang for your buck. We came up with a list of topics to raise individually on p5p, to >help us work out the definition of Perl 7 together

Oooh, excited for that.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: PSC #016 2021-04-16 [ In reply to ]
Neil

>The nomination period for the open position on the Steering Council ends
at 10pm EST on Tuesday 20th April. David Golden is running this process,
and will communicate the next step on Tuesday night.

Write what I felt.

Many members may know the location of the nomination proposal.

On the other hand, I'm only looking at the p5p mailing list, so I don't
know where it is.

The period ends before I know it and think about it.

Re: PSC #016 2021-04-16 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 19 Apr 2021 03:16:32 +0200, Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

>> The nomination period for the open position on the Steering Council ends at 10pm EST on Tuesday 20th April. >David Golden is running this process, and will communicate the next step on Tuesday night.
>
> Many members may know the location of the nomination proposal.
>
> On the other hand, I'm only looking at the p5p mailing list, so I don't know where it is.

It's on this read-only mailing list for core developers:

https://perl.topicbox.com/groups/perl-core

It might indeed be good if PSC summaries mention it when referring to business on it.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: PSC #016 2021-04-16 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 18 Apr 2021 23:31:05 +0100
Neil Bowers <neilb@neilb.org> wrote:

> Following the decision to go with "use v7", we now need to work out
> what 7.0 is going to look like. Given we're going to be pushing
> adoption of "use v7", and will also be making noise about Perl 7, we
> want to provide some real bang for your buck. We came up with a list
> of topics to raise individually on p5p, to help us work out the
> definition of Perl 7 together. Neil will kick off those discussions.
>
> In the shorter term, Rik will start the ball rolling on what's going
> to be in 5.35, so we can keep the train moving forward.

Exciting times :) I know I have my own list of ideas but I'll wait and
see how that overlaps with yours.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS