Mailing List Archive

Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes
On Friday, April 9th, Neil, Ricardo, and I met for our 15th Perl
Steering Council meeting.

We discussed the trim() function and the plan for a modern baseline to Perl.

On trim():

While we were interested in all the feedback on trim(), we were not
fully convinced by the arguments to change the behavior of functions
that trim a string's end. There are already two such functions
(chop/chomp) that behave in one way. We still consider it more
reasonable to have the next function that also trims the end of
strings stay within the same behavior. This might be an unfortunate
API but we value consistency here (string trimming functions being
in-place) than partially good behavior (one works correctly, the other
two do not - the user having to remember which is which).

However, as we are interested in making the best decision here, we
decided to reach out to those we think are better at deciding how
confusing it is for developers to learn. We reached out to people who
we think have the most experience in teaching Perl: Tom Christiansen,
brian d foy, Damian Conway, Curtis (Ovid) Poe, and Randal Schwartz. We
requested feedback on what they think would be easy to teach, rather
than necessarily consistent.

We started receiving feedback (and our thanks goes out to these
respected experts) and we are reviewing their responses (and the
conversation thread) and will make a decision once this thread is
resolved.

On the Future for Perl:

After countless conversations (at planned meetings, ad-hoc meetings,
email threads, conversation threads, and more), having reviewed all
the available options between ourselves, the Perl core, p5p, and more,
we have come to the conclusion that **the way forward for Perl
providing a better baseline is via the `use v` mechanism.** In other
words, using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.

This does not mean we are done by just putting `use warnings` behind
`use v7.0`. Unfortunately, `use v` is not as highly used as it needs
to be to make this plan a success. To make it a useful mechanism, we
will need to help people understand it, work on its image, and promote
its use on CPAN and beyond.

If we want developers to declare the version of Perl they're writing
to, and in particular to use v7, then we have to encourage it on CPAN
as well. Toolchain modules and those up-river have a good reason for
supporting 5.8+. But authors of high-level applications and new
modules should feel not only able, but encouraged, to develop to a
much more recent baseline. People have felt pressured to downgrade
their personal coding style when releasing to CPAN, discouraging
further contribution.

We'd like to see CPAN Perl Versioning guidelines, which balance the
different forces at play, make everyone aware of the trade-offs, and
reflect that when people release their code, it's our choice whether
or not to use it.

Outside CPAN, we need to promote `use v` as beneficial to developers -
whether individuals, self-employed, or companies. It will allow them
to make use of the best the language has to offer and provide both a
one-statement baseline as well as a moving target (where the `X` in
`use vX` can continue moving forward). We will need to provide
recommendations on how to best use this mechanism and update it as
desired and necessary.

We also wish to underline that deciding to make the modern Perl an
opt-in with `use v` does not mean that the Perl core will continue to
support every misfeature of Perl ad infinitum. We will continue to
review existing misfeatures (and misbehaviors) as candidates for
revision or removal if they stand in the way of larger gains on a
case-by-case basis, as we have done so far.

It is also worth noting when discussing behaviors and misbehaviors
that we consider both `strict ` and `warnings` to be *features*, not
*misfeatures*, though their value is in a developer being able to turn
them off for individual cases, rather than to turn them on, even if
this is the default in Perl.

We want to extend our thanks and our gratitude to all those involved
in this process. It's been long, tiring, and difficult - both mentally
and emotionally. We greatly appreciate this effort and - in many cases
- sacrifice.

-- Neil, Ricardo, and Sawyer.
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.

Good decision, I think.

> Unfortunately, `use v` is not as highly used as it needs
to be to make this plan a success.

I have a suggestion on that front: what if we set things up so
that the new features can be invoked by running "perl7" instead
of something like

perl -Mv7.0

This may seem like a very trivial change, but I think you can see
cases where trivial changes like this succeed in capturing some
mind share. There's a huge difference between "you can do that
easily" and "you can do that trivially".
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:16:24 +0200, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> confusing it is for developers to learn. We reached out to people who
> we think have the most experience in teaching Perl: Tom Christiansen,
> brian d foy, Damian Conway, Curtis (Ovid) Poe, and Randal Schwartz. We

Please do keep in mind:

bdf's book Learning Perl as of the 7th edition (2017) still deemphasizes strict, mentioning strict only as late as page 70; and the first perl example with variables, on page 16 would break with strict.

Ovid and others make strict and modernity an explicit priority.

> Outside CPAN, we need to promote `use v` as beneficial to developers -

I feel that before considering how to promote it, it needs to be made as valuable as possible, which in itself will act as powerful promotion. As i said before:

"I want future Perls to be as bold as possible. I want Perl v7 to
change as much as it humanly can. I want it to be brutal, a sledge
hammer. I want it to include every possible default change we can
remotely justify. I want it to change so much as to get close to
being a new language as the major version bump indicates."

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Sawyer X said:

> We want to extend our thanks and our gratitude to all those involved
> in this process. It's been long, tiring, and difficult - both mentally
> and emotionally. We greatly appreciate this effort and - in many cases
> - sacrifice.
>
> -- Neil, Ricardo, and Sawyer.

Yes, thank you VERY much to everyone involved!

It seems to me that we've arrived at the first of IETF's "rough consensus and
running code" goals. I think this is great! The flag has been planted; time to
move forward. :-D

- Salve

--
#!/usr/bin/env perl
sub AUTOLOAD{$AUTOLOAD=~/.*::(\d+)/;seek(DATA,$1,0);print# Salve Joshua Nilsen
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 10:16 AM Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> After countless conversations (at planned meetings, ad-hoc meetings,
> email threads, conversation threads, and more), having reviewed all
> the available options between ourselves, the Perl core, p5p, and more,
> we have come to the conclusion that **the way forward for Perl
> providing a better baseline is via the `use v` mechanism.** In other
> words, using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.
>
> This does not mean we are done by just putting `use warnings` behind
> `use v7.0`. Unfortunately, `use v` is not as highly used as it needs
> to be to make this plan a success. To make it a useful mechanism, we
> will need to help people understand it, work on its image, and promote
> its use on CPAN and beyond.

Thank you. I am hopeful we will be able to provide a modern programming
environment worthy of promotion, and a mechanism by which further versions
can improve upon it.

Regarding the suggestion to encourage its use on CPAN: We are only in
control of two things: the efficacy and usefulness of the declaration, and
the awareness of its existence. CPAN authors each have their own balance of
concerns and they will make their own judgments of the benefit vs the risk
of removing support for older Perl versions. We should be careful not to
make widespread use on CPAN our primary metric because it is impossible in
any reasonable timeframe.

-Dan
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:16:24 +0200
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the Future for Perl:
>
> After countless conversations (at planned meetings, ad-hoc meetings,
> email threads, conversation threads, and more), having reviewed all
> the available options between ourselves, the Perl core, p5p, and more,
> we have come to the conclusion that **the way forward for Perl
> providing a better baseline is via the `use v` mechanism.** In other
> words, using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.

\o/
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 2021-04-11 7:16 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
> We reached out to people who
> we think have the most experience in teaching Perl: Tom Christiansen,
> brian d foy, Damian Conway, Curtis (Ovid) Poe, and Randal Schwartz. We
> requested feedback on what they think would be easy to teach, rather
> than necessarily consistent.
> we have come to the conclusion that **the way forward for Perl
> providing a better baseline is via the `use v` mechanism.** In other
> words, using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.
> This does not mean we are done by just putting `use warnings` behind
> `use v7.0`. Unfortunately, `use v` is not as highly used as it needs
> to be to make this plan a success. To make it a useful mechanism, we
> will need to help people understand it, work on its image, and promote
> its use on CPAN and beyond.
Thank you so much! I agree with everything you've said in this message, and
feel that is the best way for Perl to move forward, encouraging the use of newer
features without breaking anything in bad ways. -- Darren Duncan
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 2021-04-11 8:35 a.m., Joseph Brenner wrote:
> I have a suggestion on that front: what if we set things up so
> that the new features can be invoked by running "perl7" instead
> of something like
>
> perl -Mv7.0
>
> This may seem like a very trivial change, but I think you can see
> cases where trivial changes like this succeed in capturing some
> mind share. There's a huge difference between "you can do that
> easily" and "you can do that trivially".

Having separate "perl7" binaries was discussed before and amounts to a fork of
Perl. I strongly disagree with "perl7", it is proper for the code itself to
contain a declaration of the expected Perl version, because then it will do the
right thing implicitly for everyone with a copy of that code. -- Darren Duncan
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 4/11/21 1:44 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-04-11 8:35 a.m., Joseph Brenner wrote:
>> I have a suggestion on that front: what if we set things up so
>> that the new features can be invoked by running "perl7" instead
>> of something like
>>
>>     perl -Mv7.0
>>
>> This may seem like a very trivial change, but I think you can see
>> cases where trivial changes like this succeed in capturing some
>> mind share.  There's a huge difference between "you can do that
>> easily" and "you can do that trivially".
>
> Having separate "perl7" binaries was discussed before and amounts to a
> fork of Perl.  I strongly disagree with "perl7", it is proper for the
> code itself to contain a declaration of the expected Perl version,
> because then it will do the right thing implicitly for everyone with a
> copy of that code. --  Darren Duncan

A practical downside to multiple binaries also comes into play with the
distribution on OSes and different package managers.

Only FreeBSD maintains a "moving" window of things (not just perl, there
are many examples like, python37, python38, etc).

OpenBSD has a base perl, and only 1 base perl, per release.

Etc.

In terms of distribution, this must be well understood and considered.
So I am personally also against the idea of multiple versions.

And if that is not enough to sway, then consider the mistakes other
interpreted languages have made. Whether you think some have made
mistakes or not, it still is prudent to learn from others' mistakes. We
have our fair share of our own to learn from; we sure don't need more.

Brett
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 18:05:01 +0200, Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 16:16:24 +0200, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> confusing it is for developers to learn. We reached out to people who
>> we think have the most experience in teaching Perl: Tom Christiansen,
>> brian d foy, Damian Conway, Curtis (Ovid) Poe, and Randal Schwartz. We
>
> Please do keep in mind:
>
> bdf's book Learning Perl as of the 7th edition (2017) still deemphasizes strict, mentioning strict only as late as page 70; and the first perl example with variables, on page 16 would break with strict.
>
> Ovid and others make strict and modernity an explicit priority.

A very important addendum as far as i'm concerned:

PLEASE also reach out to chromatic.

It was an itch in the back of my skull that i couldn't nail down, but i was reminded of it.

He literally wrote "Modern Perl", a book that's at least on par, if not more important than Ovid's Beginning Perl (which i love dearly) and i feel his expertise certainly applies here.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 11, 2021 at 4:16 PM Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:
> After countless conversations (at planned meetings, ad-hoc meetings,
> email threads, conversation threads, and more), having reviewed all
> the available options between ourselves, the Perl core, p5p, and more,
> we have come to the conclusion that **the way forward for Perl
> providing a better baseline is via the `use v` mechanism.** In other
> words, using `use v7.0` will be the way to move forward.

I'm happy to hear that :-).

> Outside CPAN, we need to promote `use v` as beneficial to developers -
> whether individuals, self-employed, or companies. It will allow them
> to make use of the best the language has to offer and provide both a
> one-statement baseline as well as a moving target (where the `X` in
> `use vX` can continue moving forward). We will need to provide
> recommendations on how to best use this mechanism and update it as
> desired and necessary.

"Make use vX the new strict"…

> We want to extend our thanks and our gratitude to all those involved
> in this process. It's been long, tiring, and difficult - both mentally
> and emotionally. We greatly appreciate this effort and - in many cases
> - sacrifice.

Thank all of you three too.

Leon
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Sawyer

Thank you very much.

Let's create an environment where we can challenge new syntax such as try
syntax.

I am conservative, but I also want to help new people not complain to Perl.

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 11/04/2021 19:44, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-04-11 8:35 a.m., Joseph Brenner wrote:
>> I have a suggestion on that front: what if we set things up so
>> that the new features can be invoked by running "perl7" instead
>> of something like
>>
>>     perl -Mv7.0
>>
>> This may seem like a very trivial change, but I think you can see
>> cases where trivial changes like this succeed in capturing some
>> mind share.  There's a huge difference between "you can do that
>> easily" and "you can do that trivially".
>
> Having separate "perl7" binaries was discussed before and amounts to a
> fork of Perl.

I understood Joseph's suggestion as not having a separate binary, but
just different behaviour depending on the name used to access the
binary. Consider, for example:

$ md5 /usr/bin/bz{cat,ip2}
MD5 (/usr/bin/bzcat) = c2f399abf0bd4d6d095828ff3dab7cb3
MD5 (/usr/bin/bzip2) = c2f399abf0bd4d6d095828ff3dab7cb3

That is, on this machine /usr/bin/bzcat is *exactly the same* as
/usr/bin/bzip2. It just has different default behaviours depending on
what name is used to invoke it.

--
David Cantrell
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
> I understood Joseph's suggestion as not having a separate binary, but just different behaviour depending on the name used to access the binary. Consider, for example:

I was specifically trying to be neutral on the implementation-- e.g.
for my purposes, a wrapper script named "perl7" would be fine, but I
didn't want to argue about the details..

The question I wanted to raise is would it be on balance a Good Thing
to be able to invoke the new behavior under another name like
"perl7"-- I suspect it's got advantages for promotional purposes that
are stronger than you might think at first glance-- but then I don't
doubt there could be disadvantages as well.

At the moment-- in the perl installations I'm familiar with-- you get
two identical binaries, one named "perl" and the other "perl5". Will
the "perl5" binary still exist after Perl 7 is released?

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 3:46 PM Joseph Brenner <doomvox@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I understood Joseph's suggestion as not having a separate binary, but
> just different behaviour depending on the name used to access the binary.
> Consider, for example:
>
> I was specifically trying to be neutral on the implementation-- e.g.
> for my purposes, a wrapper script named "perl7" would be fine, but I
> didn't want to argue about the details..
>
> The question I wanted to raise is would it be on balance a Good Thing
> to be able to invoke the new behavior under another name like
> "perl7"-- I suspect it's got advantages for promotional purposes that
> are stronger than you might think at first glance-- but then I don't
> doubt there could be disadvantages as well.
>
> At the moment-- in the perl installations I'm familiar with-- you get
> two identical binaries, one named "perl" and the other "perl5". Will
> the "perl5" binary still exist after Perl 7 is released?

This is only done by distribution packagers at the moment, but
https://github.com/Perl/perl5/pull/18674 has been proposed to do it from a
source install. Either way, for compatibility reasons, there is no reason
not to continue to provide it where it currently is provided, particularly
since the current plan is not to fork Perl.

-Dan
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 4/13/21 2:19 PM, David Cantrell wrote:
> On 11/04/2021 19:44, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> On 2021-04-11 8:35 a.m., Joseph Brenner wrote:
>>> I have a suggestion on that front: what if we set things up so
>>> that the new features can be invoked by running "perl7" instead
>>> of something like
>>>
>>>     perl -Mv7.0
>>>
>>> This may seem like a very trivial change, but I think you can see
>>> cases where trivial changes like this succeed in capturing some
>>> mind share.  There's a huge difference between "you can do that
>>> easily" and "you can do that trivially".
>>
>> Having separate "perl7" binaries was discussed before and amounts to a
>> fork of Perl.
>
> I understood Joseph's suggestion as not having a separate binary, but
> just different behaviour depending on the name used to access the
> binary. Consider, for example:
>
> $ md5 /usr/bin/bz{cat,ip2}
> MD5 (/usr/bin/bzcat) = c2f399abf0bd4d6d095828ff3dab7cb3
> MD5 (/usr/bin/bzip2) = c2f399abf0bd4d6d095828ff3dab7cb3
>
> That is, on this machine /usr/bin/bzcat is *exactly the same* as
> /usr/bin/bzip2. It just has different default behaviours depending on
> what name is used to invoke it.

I can't speak for Darren. But for me, even this violates my own personal
preference of there being one and only 'perl' in the path. If someone or
a distro wants to add a symlink or alias with the proper bits in place
to invoke a different run mode; then that's their prerogative. I would
not use it.

Brett
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Sawyer

I read this entry today.

I am stepping down from PSC and Core

https://perl.topicbox.com/groups/perl-core/T7a4f1bf9e069641f

I feel there was basically healthy discussion in p5p mailing list.

Personally, I didn't feel a lot of bad words.

Does that mean someone has attacked you in a secret place?

Did anyone try to get rid of you in a secret place?

Is there anything that was harmful in my words?

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Sharing this because I just happened upon the register article. The
article has other links. I am not interested in really digging up more
links, it's a sad situation for all involved and for perl, especially.

https://gist.github.com/wchristian/4e1bcdb761f20985b0a5c97a423a4fc6#file-__sawyer-txt
https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/13/perl_dev_quits/

I'm not aware of anything other than what was in his email, this
register article, and the links contained therein.

It's really a time for unity under banner of the good of perl and all
the good things it's enabled for ourselves and others. There's no other
way forward; no feature, no documentation, nothing.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
If I can assume the quoted exchange at the top url is accurate to what actually
was said, it all came across as quite civil to me, no name calling etc. --
Darren Duncan

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
B. Estrade

Thank you for the information.

This link seems to be the last twitter.

https://gist.github.com/wchristian/4e1bcdb761f20985b0a5c97a423a4fc6#file-__sawyer-txt
https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/13/perl_dev_quits/

There may have been a problem earlier.

I've also heard rumors that there's a problem with Facebook's Perl
community.

I'm not part of the Facebook community so I don't know anything.

Has someone's personal attack overheated?

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 11:15:57AM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> B. Estrade
>
> Thank you for the information.
>
> This link seems to be the last twitter.
>

> https://gist.github.com/wchristian/4e1bcdb761f20985b0a5c97a423a4fc6#file-__sawyer-txt
> https://www.theregister.com/2021/04/13/perl_dev_quits/
>
> There may have been a problem earlier.
>
> I've also heard rumors that there's a problem with Facebook's Perl
> community.
>
> I'm not part of the Facebook community so I don't know anything.
>
> Has someone's personal attack overheated?

I recall Sawyer expressing early on that if the perl 7
proposal to invigorate the language was rejected by the
community, if cruft couldn't be removed to make way for
future improvements, he would cease participating in perl's
development.

I believe the recent debate on cruft was the last straw for
him, with the direction the perl 7 discussions are taking no
longer consistent with his original vision.

I am very appreciative of his work for the community over
many years and wish him the best.

--
Joel Roth
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Hacker News has taken up this topic.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26779152

How about talking about what's happening now before the election?

Japanese Perl users I know also seem to be worried.

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:52:51PM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
> Hacker News has taken up this topic.

> How about talking about what's happening now before the election?
>
> Japanese Perl users I know also seem to be worried.

I wonder what they fear.

AFAICT the result of discussion among core developers and
the community is that the perl interpreter will continue to
honor its commitment to backward compatibility, with new
features introduced by 'use v7' or similar. Deprecation and
removal of mis-features will also continue in responsible
fashion.

To me, the upcoming changes to the perl core and the
benefits to both newcomers and experienced users will be a
much bigger story than a few public disagreements among
contributors.

So, I would reassure them everything will be okay.

Joel

--
Joel Roth
Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
On 4/14/21 5:06 AM, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 05:52:51PM +0900, Yuki Kimoto wrote:
>> Hacker News has taken up this topic.
>>
>> https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=26779152
>>
>> How about talking about what's happening now before the election?
>>
>> Japanese Perl users I know also seem to be worried.
>
> I wonder what they fear.
>
> AFAICT the result of discussion among core developers and
> the community is that the perl interpreter will continue to
> honor its commitment to backward compatibility, with new
> features introduced by 'use v7' or similar. Deprecation and
> removal of mis-features will also continue in responsible
> fashion.
>
> To me, the upcoming changes to the perl core and the
> benefits to both newcomers and experienced users will be a
> much bigger story than a few public disagreements among
> contributors.
>
> So, I would reassure them everything will be okay.

Agreed. This, too, shall pass. Or to quote Little Orphan Annie, The Sun
Will Come Up Tomorrow :)

Brett

Re: Perl Steering Committee (PSC) #015 Meeting Notes [ In reply to ]
Yuki Kimoto <kimoto.yuki@gmail.com> wrote:

> Has someone's personal attack overheated?

None of use really know since Sawyer decided to leave us with a
free-floating non-specific accusation of "bullying" combined with an
attempt at pre-empting any response (if you deny it, well that's just
what bullies always say, isn't it!).

There was some discussion of this over at reddit. Some people think
Sawyer was referring to a twitter exchange.

https://www.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/mpbjf2/i_am_stepping_down_from_psc_and_core_effective/

1 2  View All