I just want to make sure everyone is aware of it and have no doubts on it.

Sawyer.

[1] Pending successful RC testing.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 12:51:48 +0100, Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC),
> Perl 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].
>

> I just want to make sure everyone is aware of it and have no doubts on it.
>

> Sawyer.
>

> [1] Pending successful RC testing.

<3

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On 1/24/21 4:51 AM, Sawyer X wrote:
> Hi,
>

> While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC),
> Perl 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].
>

> I just want to make sure everyone is aware of it and have no doubts on it.
>

> Sawyer.
>

> [1] Pending successful RC testing.

We don't have published freeze dates
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On 1/24/21 8:35 PM, Karl Williamson wrote:
> On 1/24/21 4:51 AM, Sawyer X wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council
>> (PSC), Perl 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on
>> May 20th[1].
>>

>> I just want to make sure everyone is aware of it and have no doubts
>> on it.
>>

>> Sawyer.
>>

>> [1] Pending successful RC testing.
>>

> We don't have published freeze dates

That's a good point. I've added those notes to the
Porters/release_schedule.pod file.

I'll reply to my original email with another one on the freeze dates,
starting from the next release.
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On 2021-01-24 3:51 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
> While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC), Perl
> 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].

As far as I'm concerned, the priority feature for 5.34 should be setting things
up at the front end to smooth the transition to Perl 7 that follows it.

A key example is that an explicit "use 5.34;" will provide the same semantics
that would be implicit with Perl 7 later where those would break programs
lacking a "use" line.

So just as "use 5.12;" or whatever already turns on strict, a "use 5.34;" should
turn on strict and warnings, and also activate "say" or any other
non-experimental syntactic features or semantics we conceptually want to have on
by default, so then "use 5.34;" while being boilerplate is very terse compared
to the boilerplate to get the same behaviour under previous Perls.

Another example, Perl 5.34 should issue warnings when compiling/running
something whose behavior may change under Perl 7, such as any file-based code
lacking an explicit "use" line AND that also would fail strict or uses indirect
method call syntax or whatever; some of these warnings might be opt-in rather
than default with a command-line switch or such.

-- Darren Duncan
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
> On 2021-01-24 3:51 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
> > While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC), Perl
> > 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].
>
> As far as I'm concerned, the priority feature for 5.34 should be setting things
> up at the front end to smooth the transition to Perl 7 that follows it.

My take: I don't think the specifics of any possible Perl 7 release are sufficiently set in stone that this could be a non-contentious action before Feb 20.

--
rjbs
Re: Perl 5.34.0 *will be released* in May [ In reply to ]
On 2021-01-24 6:05 p.m., Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Darren Duncan wrote:
>> On 2021-01-24 3:51 a.m., Sawyer X wrote:
>> > While Perl 7 is still on the docket for the Perl Steering Council (PSC), Perl
>> > 5.34 will definitely be released and made available on May 20th[1].
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, the priority feature for 5.34 should be setting things
>> up at the front end to smooth the transition to Perl 7 that follows it.
>
> My take: I don't think the specifics of any possible Perl 7 release are
> sufficiently set in stone that this could be a non-contentious action before Feb 20.

That's not a problem for the core of my proposal.

So then this isn't about Perl 7 specifically.

Rather, my core proposal has 2 main parts:

1. Make the behavior of an explicit "use 5.34;" include certain best practices
that used to be their own pragmas including stuff like use strict, use warnings,
use feature say, no indirect methods, and so on. This change would have no
effect on code that either lacks a use-version or that has an older one. The
new inclusions would just stick to non-contentious stuff and would not include
anything considered experimental.

2. Perl 5.34 would include anything that is reasonable to include in advance to
help smooth the transition to Perl 7 such that nothing too specific and nothing
contentious about Perl 7 is included.

-- Darren Duncan