Mailing List Archive

Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15
Hi everyone,

On the 15th, Rik, Neil, and I had our third PSC (Perl Steering Council) meeting.

At this meeting, we discussed emails we received about additional
syntax to the language and Perl 7. Our official position is that we
are interested in advanced capabilities added to the language but
cannot commit to a specific design or implementation. At the moment,
Perl 7 is one of our urgent upcoming topics.

We also informed The Perl Foundation that I (Sawyer) would continue
the current TPF maintenance grants. The Steering Council will assign a
grant manager for future maintenance grants based on member capacity.

Our most significant discussion this recent meeting was about our
guidelines for changes to the language. There are considerations of
security, stability, and innovation. Our interest is in clarifying
this and providing the tools for all of us (the Steering Council, the
Perl Core, and the Porters as a whole) to discuss proposed changes. We
are currently working on a framework for these conversations and will
continue the conversation in future meetings.

As usual, we will update p5p on our future meetings as we conduct them.

-- Sawyer.
Re: Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 11:22:20 +0100
Sawyer X <xsawyerx@gmail.com> wrote:

> At this meeting, we discussed emails we received about additional
> syntax to the language and Perl 7. Our official position is that we
> are interested in advanced capabilities added to the language but
> cannot commit to a specific design or implementation. At the moment,
> Perl 7 is one of our urgent upcoming topics.
>
> We also informed The Perl Foundation that I (Sawyer) would continue
> the current TPF maintenance grants. The Steering Council will assign a
> grant manager for future maintenance grants based on member capacity.
>
> Our most significant discussion this recent meeting was about our
> guidelines for changes to the language. There are considerations of
> security, stability, and innovation. Our interest is in clarifying
> this and providing the tools for all of us (the Steering Council, the
> Perl Core, and the Porters as a whole) to discuss proposed changes. We
> are currently working on a framework for these conversations and will
> continue the conversation in future meetings.

That all sounds exciting stuff.

On that overall theme of language additions, I have an upcoming talk at
FOSDEM where I will be proposing a whole collection of ideas. This is
loosely based on a recent blog post article I wrote

https://leonerds-code.blogspot.com/2020/12/2020-perl-advent-calendar-day-25.html

I'm finishing off the prerecorded part of the video today in fact. It
will become public during the conference itself on 6th Feb, but I could
arrange a preview of that before then for the steering council, to
avoid surprises.

Overall there'll be several ideas in this talk which I think could be
used as testing points for whatever the new process for discussing and
adding new features becomes. As I've said before, I'm keen to ensure
that such a process exists. :)

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/
Re: Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 17, 2021, at 11:12 AM, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
> I'm finishing off the prerecorded part of the video today in fact. It
> will become public during the conference itself on 6th Feb, but I could
> arrange a preview of that before then for the steering council, to
> avoid surprises.

I, for one, would be pleased to watch it, whether before or after that date.

(I am once again sad not to be going to an in-person FOSDEM this year. I had a great time the one year I went, and I think it might be the only time that you (Paul) and I were ever in the same room!)

--
rjbs
Re: Perl Steering Council, meeting #003, 2020-01-15 [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 9:52 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021, at 11:12 AM, Paul "LeoNerd" Evans wrote:
>> I'm finishing off the prerecorded part of the video today in fact. It
>> will become public during the conference itself on 6th Feb, but I could
>> arrange a preview of that before then for the steering council, to
>> avoid surprises.
>
> I, for one, would be pleased to watch it, whether before or after that
> date.
>
> (I am once again sad not to be going to an in-person FOSDEM this
> year.  I had a great time the one year I went, and I think it might be
> the only time that you (Paul) and I were ever in the same room!)

Same here, on both accounts.