Mailing List Archive

Perl 5.33.3 is now available!
Oh you men who think or say that I am malevolent, stubborn, or
misanthropic, how greatly do you wrong me. You do not know the secret
cause which makes me seem that way to you. From childhood on, my
heart and soul have been full of the tender feeling of goodwill, and I
was ever inclined to accomplish great things. But, think that for six
years now I have been hopelessly afflicted, made worse by senseless
physicians, from year to year deceived with hopes of improvement,
finally compelled to face the prospect of a lasting malady (whose cure
will take years or, perhaps, be impossible). Though born with a
fiery, active temperament, even susceptible to the diversions of
society, I was soon compelled to withdraw myself, to live life alone.
[...] I endured this wretched existence--truly wretched for so
susceptible a body, which can be thrown by a sudden change from the
best condition to the very worst.--Patience, they say, is what I must
now choose for my guide, and I have done so--I hope my determination
will remain firm to endure until it pleases the inexorable Parcae to
break the thread. [...] Recommend virtue to your children; it alone,
not money, can make them happy. I speak from experience; this was
what upheld me in time of misery. [...] Do not wholly forget me when I
am dead; I deserve this from you, for during my lifetime I was
thinking of you often and of ways to make you happy--please be so--

-- Ludwig van Beethoven, "Heiligenstadt Testament";
translated and quoted in: Maynard Solomon, "Beethoven"

We are thankful to be able to announce version 33.3, the fourth
development release of version 33 of Perl 5.

You will soon be able to download Perl 5.33.3 from your favourite CPAN
mirror or find it at:

https://metacpan.org/release/SHAY/perl-5.33.3/

SHA1 digests for this release are:

4aab28a2dd65bca49f5433117fe1f4c665546bb4 perl-5.33.3.tar.gz
7ae20f02e19d3a61dcfaad7664a71229d352ef65 perl-5.33.3.tar.xz

You can find a full list of changes in the file "perldelta.pod" located
in the "pod" directory inside the release and on the web.

Perl 5.33.3 represents approximately 4 weeks of development since Perl
5.33.2 and contains approximately 90,000 lines of changes across 740
files from 20 authors.

Excluding auto-generated files, documentation and release tools, there
were approximately 15,000 lines of changes to 500 .pm, .t, .c and .h
files.

Perl continues to flourish into its fourth decade thanks to a vibrant
community of users and developers. The following people are known to
have contributed the improvements that became Perl 5.33.3:

Christian Walde (Mithaldu), Dan Book, Eric Lindblad, Felipe Gasper,
H.Merijn Brand, Hugo van der Sanden, Ichinose Shogo, James E Keenan,
Karen Etheridge, Karl Williamson, Nicolas R., Richard Leach, Samanta
Navarro, Sawyer X, Steve Hay, TAKAI Kousuke, Thibault Duponchelle, Todd
Rinaldo, Tomasz Konojacki, Tony Cook.

The list above is almost certainly incomplete as it is automatically
generated from version control history. In particular, it does not
include the names of the (very much appreciated) contributors who
reported issues to the Perl bug tracker.

Many of the changes included in this version originated in the CPAN
modules included in Perl's core. We're grateful to the entire CPAN
community for helping Perl to flourish.

For a more complete list of all of Perl's historical contributors,
please see the AUTHORS file in the Perl source distribution.

We expect to release version 33.4 on 20 November 2020. The next major
stable release of Perl should appear in the first half of 2021.

Enjoy!

Steve Hay