reading perl-related mailing list emails. This is mainly due to a lack of
enthusiasm, exacerbated by all the perl7 and governance discussions, which
I've also been hiding from.

--
More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path
leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction.
Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
-- Woody Allen
Re: DAVEM TPF Grant#2 Sept 2020 report [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 17 Oct 2020 10:23:35 +0100
Dave Mitchell <davem@iabyn.com> wrote:

> I'm afraid I did absolutely no work on perl during September - not
> even reading perl-related mailing list emails. This is mainly due to
> a lack of enthusiasm, exacerbated by all the perl7 and governance
> discussions, which I've also been hiding from.

I can entirely sympathise here. I have been feeling very similar; I
haven't found the energy to continue the FINALLY syntax which I
currently have in an almost-ready state. This also means I haven't got
into a position to be able to start on try/catch, or any of the other
fun ideas I had going on from that.

Mostly the usual reasons here - it's rather frustrating to watch large
amounts of energy from everyone being thrown into the governance
discussions, meanwhile various ideas of mine to actually move the real
language forward and create new user-visible features just sit in
silence, with nobody commenting, replying, or otherwise engaging with
me on it.

Longterm this does worry me a little - I wonder quite how much this
will affect Perl going forward. :/ It would be upsetting if all actual
forward progress on the language ended up stopping entirely as a
side-effect of trying to make "forward progress".

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd@leonerd.org.uk | https://metacpan.org/author/PEVANS
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/ | https://www.tindie.com/stores/leonerd/