as such, there is conceptually no difference between doing the move
and not setting up the updates, and disabling the updates from RT

as such not setting up the updates should have a justification equally
strong as the justification for disabling updates from RT

i wasn't able to find any such justification in the p5p history, was
it ever made?

if not, please make it, or set up updates from the github ticketing
system being sent to p5p again
Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com>
wrote:

> inspired by bulk88's email, and some irc conversation:
>
> p5p used to receive emails for ticket activity from RT
>
> then the repository was moved to github, including the tickets, and
> apparently as a non-challenged side effect of this, ticket updates
> being sent to p5p was never set up
>
> as such, there is conceptually no difference between doing the move
> and not setting up the updates, and disabling the updates from RT
>
> as such not setting up the updates should have a justification equally
> strong as the justification for disabling updates from RT
>
> i wasn't able to find any such justification in the p5p history, was
> it ever made?
>
> if not, please make it, or set up updates from the github ticketing
> system being sent to p5p again

I think it would be appropriate for emails to be sent to the p5p list
notifying when any new issue or PR is opened, at a minimum. I believe this
could be accomplished using github actions:

https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#issues
https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#pull_request
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/send-email

-Dan
Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> inspired by bulk88's email, and some irc conversation:
>>
>> p5p used to receive emails for ticket activity from RT
>>
>> then the repository was moved to github, including the tickets, and
>> apparently as a non-challenged side effect of this, ticket updates
>> being sent to p5p was never set up
>>
>> as such, there is conceptually no difference between doing the move
>> and not setting up the updates, and disabling the updates from RT
>>
>> as such not setting up the updates should have a justification equally
>> strong as the justification for disabling updates from RT
>>
>> i wasn't able to find any such justification in the p5p history, was
>> it ever made?
>>
>> if not, please make it, or set up updates from the github ticketing
>> system being sent to p5p again
>

> I think it would be appropriate for emails to be sent to the p5p list notifying when any new issue or PR is opened, at a minimum. I believe this could be accomplished using github actions:
>
> https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#issues
> https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#pull_request
> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/send-email

I think it would be appropriate too, but there may be some technical
difficulties. What happens when GitHub sends an e-mail to p5p and
someone hits reply-to-all when replying? I *think* what will happen
is that if they have a GitHub account and if they are subscribed to
p5p with the same e-mail address that is associated with the GitHub
account, their message will be added to the comments on GitHub for the
issue or PR. But if one or both of those if conditions is not met,
they'll likely get a bounce message from GitHub even though the reply
should still get to p5p.

If it's possible to set up a GitHub workflow that sends e-mail with
only p5p in the reply-to headers, that might solve part of the
problem, but I don't know if that's possible. I am not the keeper of
the repo and have never used GitHub workflows, so maybe someone with
experience of the latter could chime in and set us straight on what's
possible.

A workaround that might be acceptable to some people is simply
following the repository on GitHub. It's a lot of traffic, though,
because it's essentially the equivalent of perl5-changes plus the RT
reflection to p5p.
Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 15:17:59 +0200, Craig A. Berry <craig.a.berry@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 2:13 PM Dan Book <grinnz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2020 at 6:45 AM Christian Walde <walde.christian@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> inspired by bulk88's email, and some irc conversation:
>>>
>>> p5p used to receive emails for ticket activity from RT
>>>
>>> then the repository was moved to github, including the tickets, and
>>> apparently as a non-challenged side effect of this, ticket updates
>>> being sent to p5p was never set up
>>>
>>> as such, there is conceptually no difference between doing the move
>>> and not setting up the updates, and disabling the updates from RT
>>>
>>> as such not setting up the updates should have a justification equally
>>> strong as the justification for disabling updates from RT
>>>
>>> i wasn't able to find any such justification in the p5p history, was
>>> it ever made?
>>>
>>> if not, please make it, or set up updates from the github ticketing
>>> system being sent to p5p again
>>

>> I think it would be appropriate for emails to be sent to the p5p list notifying when any new issue or PR is opened, at a minimum. I believe this could be accomplished using github actions:
>>
>> https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#issues
>> https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/reference/events-that-trigger-workflows#pull_request
>> https://github.com/marketplace/actions/send-email
>
> I think it would be appropriate too, but there may be some technical
> difficulties. What happens when GitHub sends an e-mail to p5p and
> someone hits reply-to-all when replying? I *think* what will happen
> is that if they have a GitHub account and if they are subscribed to
> p5p with the same e-mail address that is associated with the GitHub
> account, their message will be added to the comments on GitHub for the
> issue or PR. But if one or both of those if conditions is not met,
> they'll likely get a bounce message from GitHub even though the reply
> should still get to p5p.
>
> If it's possible to set up a GitHub workflow that sends e-mail with
> only p5p in the reply-to headers, that might solve part of the
> problem, but I don't know if that's possible. I am not the keeper of
> the repo and have never used GitHub workflows, so maybe someone with
> experience of the latter could chime in and set us straight on what's
> possible.
>
> A workaround that might be acceptable to some people is simply
> following the repository on GitHub. It's a lot of traffic, though,
> because it's essentially the equivalent of perl5-changes plus the RT
> reflection to p5p.

Thanks for the feedback. I'd gotten some of these comments on IRC as well and they make sense. I'm thinking about setting up a repo and implement an action on it, then test what happens, and if that doesn't lead to ill effects, make a PR to implement it for the perl5 repo.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p [ In reply to ]
For me, blanket subscription to the perl/perl5 repository and
redirecting messages to the same folder as p5p@ list works in exactly
the same manner as it did with RT.

Best regards,
Sergey Aleynikov
Re: please re-enable ticket traffic being sent to p5p [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 05 Oct 2020 10:16:51 +0200, Sergey Aleynikov <sergey.aleynikov@gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, blanket subscription to the perl/perl5 repository and
> redirecting messages to the same folder as p5p@ list works in exactly
> the same manner as it did with RT.

Right, we're aware it works as an individual workaround, but the issue here has a systemic nature. :)

--
With regards,
Christian Walde