Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ... [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 23:52:01 +0200, TTK Ciar <ttk2@ciar.org> wrote:

> Certainly! I am referring specifically to http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2020/08/perl7-is-a-fork-of-values.html and the discussion about it at https://old.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/i1qqxa/perl7_is_a_fork_of_values/ where p5p devs expressed related concerns.
>
> If something was lost in translation, I would be very grateful for clarification.
>
> On Sun, Aug 09, 2020 at 05:02:08PM -0400, James E Keenan wrote:
>> On 8/9/20 3:56 PM, TTK Ciar wrote:
>> >Could you do me a favor, please, and reconcile assertions that Perl v5
>> >will continue to be supported with assertions elsewhere that Perl v5 will
>> >be EOL'd when Perl v8 is released?
>> >

>> I do not know who is making those assertions. I have not heard them.
>> Could you please cite a specific source so that we might respond to your
>> concerns?

More specifically, from the announcement video (which does not have terribly good accessibility, so this is the best example i found):

> in major version
> we can finally remove syntax so if we
> disable for example indirect syntax in
> seven in eight theoretically we could
> removing the right syntax and I know
> there is one person there that is still
> writing indirect syntax and demands to
> never change it but you know what that's
> not our top priority

https://youtu.be/6wPMh-3qYJM?t=3373

I don't know if that was just a random idea or actually an announcement of intent, or if it was clarified since, but as it is stated:

This would result in people being unable to use orphaned CPAN modules unless drastic action is taken to e.g. empower modules@ to forcibly release fixes for distributions or other much more crazy solutions.

--
With regards,
Christian Walde
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ... [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM TTK Ciar <ttk2@ciar.org> wrote:

> Certainly! I am referring specifically to
> http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2020/08/perl7-is-a-fork-of-values.html
> and the discussion about it at
> https://old.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/i1qqxa/perl7_is_a_fork_of_values/
> where p5p devs expressed related concerns.
>
> If something was lost in translation, I would be very grateful for
> clarification.

My writing didn't say anything about EOLing the perl5 binary, it does
mention the idea of dropping compatibility with perl5 in perl8. That would
mean perl8 wouldn't understand «use v5.8», but doesn't say anything about
the perl5 binary. I imagine this means people will need two perl installs.

Leon
Re: Q: what the hell is going on? // A: ... [ In reply to ]
Leon Timmermans wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 11:52 PM TTK Ciar <ttk2@ciar.org
> <mailto:ttk2@ciar.org>> wrote:
>
> Certainly! I am referring specifically to
> http://blogs.perl.org/users/leon_timmermans/2020/08/perl7-is-a-fork-of-values.html
> and the discussion about it at
> https://old.reddit.com/r/perl/comments/i1qqxa/perl7_is_a_fork_of_values/
> where p5p devs expressed related concerns.
>
> If something was lost in translation, I would be very grateful for
> clarification.
>

> My writing didn't say anything about EOLing the perl5 binary, it does
> mention the idea of dropping compatibility with perl5 in perl8. That
> would mean perl8 wouldn't understand «use v5.8», but doesn't say
> anything about the perl5 binary. I imagine this means people will need
> two perl installs.
>
> Leon

XML RPC between 2 processes now to load older CPAN code?

1 2  View All