I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm’s POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?

More broadly, should core modules’ POD be in UTF-8 or Latin-1?

-F
Re: constant.pm POD: Latin-1 or UTF-8? [ In reply to ]
Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> writes:

> I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm’s
> POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?

Which version are you looking at? The current blead version uses an
E<eacute> escape, which should render according to your locale.

> More broadly, should core modules’ POD be in UTF-8 or Latin-1?

Everything sould be UTF-8 unless there's some technical reason not to
(e.g. it needs to be processed by a tool that doesn't understand UTF-8,
or is test data for other encodings).

- ilmari
--
"The surreality of the universe tends towards a maximum" -- Skud's Law
"Never formulate a law or axiom that you're not prepared to live with
Re: constant.pm POD: Latin-1 or UTF-8? [ In reply to ]
> On Jul 31, 2020, at 11:20 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari@ilmari.org> wrote:
>
> Felipe Gasper <felipe@felipegasper.com> writes:
>
>> I noticed a Latin-1 wide character near the bottom of constant.pm’s
>> POD. Is this intended, or should that be UTF-8?
>
> Which version are you looking at? The current blead version uses an
> E<eacute> escape, which should render according to your locale.

Ah, you’re right. So it’s some misconfiguration on my end … though I’m not sure why it’d render in Latin-1 since I have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in my env.

-F