Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
* Sullivan Beck <sullybeck@gmail.com> [2017-11-08T21:21:56]
> The purpose of Locale::Codes is to act as a dictionary/index of the various
> code sets in their current state. Because it is a snapshot of the codes at
> a moment in time, if you rely on them, you really need to keep them
> up-to-date.
>
> When you use a version that comes bundled with perl, it is out-of-date...
> probably badly so.

Forcing an install from the CPAN seems only to kick this can down the road one
step. Once the user first gets Local::Codes from one place or another, they
won't be prompted to upgrade it ever, unless some library installed later
requires it. This won't happen, generally.

Is the goal here strictly to force downstream packages to make a separate
package, so it will be upgraded by installed package updates?

--
rjbs
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
On 11/19/2017 08:04 PM, Ricardo Signes wrote:
> * Sullivan Beck <sullybeck@gmail.com> [2017-11-08T21:21:56]
>> The purpose of Locale::Codes is to act as a dictionary/index of the various
>> code sets in their current state. Because it is a snapshot of the codes at
>> a moment in time, if you rely on them, you really need to keep them
>> up-to-date.
>>
>> When you use a version that comes bundled with perl, it is out-of-date...
>> probably badly so.
> Forcing an install from the CPAN seems only to kick this can down the road one
> step. Once the user first gets Local::Codes from one place or another, they
> won't be prompted to upgrade it ever, unless some library installed later
> requires it. This won't happen, generally.
>
> Is the goal here strictly to force downstream packages to make a separate
> package, so it will be upgraded by installed package updates?

My goal is to try to make sure users are using the Locale::Codes module
correctly... which means that you need to be using an up-to-date
version. Since a core-version is always out-of-date, one step is to get
it out of core. That's the thing I've been pursuing here.

A second step would be to educate users that regular updates are
necessary if you want accurate data. There are a few ways I could do
that. I could make the install procedure print out some sort of
message. That would work for anyone who was installing from cpan, but
probably not so well for those installing the package as an RPM or some
other method. Another alternative would be to build the release date
into the release and print a warning if the release was too old.
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> writes:

> I saw this thread today while preparing 5.27.6 for release. I see that
> Locale::Codes was released to cpan a few days ago noting that the
> deprecation will occur in 5.27.7, not 5.27.6, so consequently I am *not*
> synchronizing Locale::Codes in blead with the latest cpan release.

I have now applied the patch from Sullivan, and noted the deprecation in
core in perldelta as commit 183fb71f76211d8eb672b86602b8d9c00541afbe.

- ilmari
--
- Twitter seems more influential [than blogs] in the 'gets reported in
the mainstream press' sense at least. - Matt McLeod
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
On 11/21/2017 06:13 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns?ker wrote:
> Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> writes:
>
>> I saw this thread today while preparing 5.27.6 for release. I see that
>> Locale::Codes was released to cpan a few days ago noting that the
>> deprecation will occur in 5.27.7, not 5.27.6, so consequently I am *not*
>> synchronizing Locale::Codes in blead with the latest cpan release.
> I have now applied the patch from Sullivan, and noted the deprecation in
> core in perldelta as commit 183fb71f76211d8eb672b86602b8d9c00541afbe.
>
> - ilmari

Thanks to everyone.

So in perl 5.28.x, Locale-Codes is deprecated and, if used, will issue a
warning.

Once 5.28 is released, I'll submit a patch that removes Locale-Codes
from 5.29.1 so that it'll be gone in 5.30 (unless someone objects and
believes the deprecation should last two cycles).
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
On 11/21/2017 09:55 AM, Sullivan Beck (CPAN) wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 06:13 AM, Dagfinn Ilmari Manns?ker wrote:
>> Karen Etheridge <perl@froods.org> writes:
>>
>>> I saw this thread today while preparing 5.27.6 for release. I see that
>>> Locale::Codes was released to cpan a few days ago noting that the
>>> deprecation will occur in 5.27.7, not 5.27.6, so consequently I am *not*
>>> synchronizing Locale::Codes in blead with the latest cpan release.
>> I have now applied the patch from Sullivan, and noted the deprecation in
>> core in perldelta as commit 183fb71f76211d8eb672b86602b8d9c00541afbe.
>>
>> - ilmari
>
> Thanks to everyone.
>
> So in perl 5.28.x, Locale-Codes is deprecated and, if used, will issue a
> warning.
>
> Once 5.28 is released, I'll submit a patch that removes Locale-Codes
> from 5.29.1 so that it'll be gone in 5.30 (unless someone objects and
> believes the deprecation should last two cycles).

I've got a patch ready that removes Locale-Codes from perl core. It is
available at:

https://sullybeck.com/0001-Remove-Locale-Codes-from-core.patch.gz

I did NOT update any change file to state that the package was no longer
distributed in core, so that will need to be done by someone more
familiar with keeping the changes recorded.

Also, running make on the resulting source gave errors when running:

t/porting/podcheck

I'm not familiar with the podcheck script, so I'm uncertain of the
correct way to resolve this, so I'll leave that to others as well.

Let me know if there's anything else that I should do on my end.

Thanks

--

Sullivan Beck
sullybeck@gmail.com
Re: RFC: remove Locale-Codes from core modules [ In reply to ]
On 08/17/2018 08:14 AM, Sullivan Beck wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 09:55 AM, Sullivan Beck (CPAN) wrote:

>>> I have now applied the patch from Sullivan, and noted the deprecation in
>>> core in perldelta as commit 183fb71f76211d8eb672b86602b8d9c00541afbe.
>>>
>>> - ilmari
>>
>> Thanks to everyone.
>>
>> So in perl 5.28.x, Locale-Codes is deprecated and, if used, will issue
>> a warning.
>>
>> Once 5.28 is released, I'll submit a patch that removes Locale-Codes
>> from 5.29.1 so that it'll be gone in 5.30 (unless someone objects and
>> believes the deprecation should last two cycles).
>
> I've got a patch ready that removes Locale-Codes from perl core.? It is
> available at:
>
> ?? https://sullybeck.com/0001-Remove-Locale-Codes-from-core.patch.gz
>
> I did NOT update any change file to state that the package was no longer
> distributed in core, so that will need to be done by someone more
> familiar with keeping the changes recorded.
>
> Also, running make on the resulting source gave errors when running:
>
> ?? t/porting/podcheck
>
> I'm not familiar with the podcheck script, so I'm uncertain of the
> correct way to resolve this, so I'll leave that to others as well.
>
> Let me know if there's anything else that I should do on my end.
>
> Thanks

So that we can have a permanent record in RT of our work on this
proposed module, I have opened this ticket:

The first post in that ticket will appear on list shortly. Can I ask
that we move discussion to that thread?

Thank you very much.
Jim Keenan

1 2  View All