echo "Now you should run"
echo " make"
echo " make test"
echo " make install"

and add ./configure to MANIFEST.

In fact, if h2xs would write in some echo's with reasonable copyright
blurb, one would not need any README at all. ;-)/3

Ilya
Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
Ilya Zakharevich writes:

> ./configure
> make
> make test
> make install
>
> Does it look better? ;-)
>
> The only change should be to ask h2xs to write ./configure with
>
> $hashbang
> perl Makefile.PL
> echo "Now you should run"
> echo " make"
> echo " make test"
> echo " make install"
>
> and add ./configure to MANIFEST.
>
> In fact, if h2xs would write in some echo's with reasonable copyright
> blurb, one would not need any README at all. ;-)/3

Following up to myself, the second thought is that writing copyright, build,
and disclaimer blurbs should be a function of MakeMaker, if
writeMakefile is called with
copyright => 'std',
disclaimer =>'std',
buildblurb => 'std',

Anything but 'std' is considered as text to spit.

Anyone cares to write the texts? What I include is

LEGALESE
~~~~~~~~
Copyright (c) 1995 Ilya Zakharevich. All rights reserved.
This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.

You should have received a copy of the Perl license along with
Perl; see the file README in Perl distribution.

along with Perl; see the file Copying. If not, write to
the Free Software Foundation, 675 Mass Ave, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA.

You should have received a copy of the Artistic License
along with Perl; see the file Artistic.

Author of this software makes no claim whatsoever about suitability,
reliability, edability, editability or usability of this product, and
should not be kept liable for any damage resulting from the use of
it. If you can use it, you are in luck, if not, I should not be kept
responsible. Keep a handy copy of your backup tape at hand.

Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 27 Aug 1995, Ilya Zakharevich wrote:

> Following up to myself, the second thought is that writing copyright, build,
> and disclaimer blurbs should be a function of MakeMaker, if
> writeMakefile is called with
> copyright => 'std',
> disclaimer =>'std',
> buildblurb => 'std',
>
> Anything but 'std' is considered as text to spit.

_Excellent_ idea. I'm not sure whether they should go in h2xs or
MakeMaker, but some boilerplates would be quite helpful.

Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
>> Anything but 'std' is considered as text to spit.
>
>_Excellent_ idea. I'm not sure whether they should go in h2xs or
>MakeMaker, but some boilerplates would be quite helpful.

h2xs of course, because the blurb has only to be written once. But I'd
suggest to have the boilerplates themselves in an ExtUtils::Blurb
module. h2xs should require() this module so that h2xs' changes can be
kept at a minimum.

I'm happy to maintain ExtUtils::Blurb within the MakeMaker
distribution, if you want, but I'm not going to write it.

> Copyright (c) 1995 Ilya Zakharevich. All rights reserved.
> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.

A very nice but pedantic guy recently asked me, well, I may copy and
redistribute it, fine, but may I actually use it? :-):-):-) Really!

So I added 'use' to the juice.

>Kenneth Albanowski (kjahds@kjahds.com, CIS: 70705,126)

andreas
Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 28 Aug 1995, Andreas Koenig wrote:

> >> Anything but 'std' is considered as text to spit.
> >
> >_Excellent_ idea. I'm not sure whether they should go in h2xs or
> >MakeMaker, but some boilerplates would be quite helpful.
>
> h2xs of course, because the blurb has only to be written once. But I'd
> suggest to have the boilerplates themselves in an ExtUtils::Blurb
> module. h2xs should require() this module so that h2xs' changes can be
> kept at a minimum.

Hmm. While we're thinking about this sort of thing, why not have a general
Text::Boilerplate or something that can hand out various copyright
notices, including GPL, GLPL, Artistic, headers for README, several
variations on source code, extension boilerplates, etc.

> I'm happy to maintain ExtUtils::Blurb within the MakeMaker
> distribution, if you want, but I'm not going to write it.
>
> > Copyright (c) 1995 Ilya Zakharevich. All rights reserved.
> > This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
> > modify it under the same terms as Perl itself.
>
> A very nice but pedantic guy recently asked me, well, I may copy and
> redistribute it, fine, but may I actually use it? :-):-):-) Really!
>
> So I added 'use' to the juice.

That's the problem with copyright notices. Heck, we may even have
copyright problems including some copyrights. ;-)

(And just the other day I saw a self-disclaming disclaimer...)

Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
>From: Kenneth Albanowski <kjahds@kjahds.com>

>Text::Boilerplate or something that can hand out various copyright
>notices, including GPL, GLPL, Artistic, headers for README, several
>variations on source code, extension boilerplates, etc.

I like that. Would be a good place to also include the plate for a
FOO.psm file.

Hey, I think this hasn't been discussed yet on p5p, just on the
packrats list. Kenneth has suggested *.psm files (perl software map)
in the same style as linux software map files. I support the idea. I'm
told linuxees get a lot out of their archives by consulting
(postprocessed) .lsm files.

I just cannot volunteer for it :(

andreas
Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
Re: [MM] Re: Extensions for dummies [ In reply to ]
>From: pmarquess@bfsec.bt.co.uk (Paul Marquess)
>
>What is a software map then ?
>
>Paul

This is a statement of the harvest folks:

We have also built Gatherer translation scripts for some other
manually created indexing information formats, including the ``Linux
Software Map'' (LSM) format and the the Internet Anonymous FTP
Archives IETF Working Group (IAFA) format. At present we have a Broker
runing for LSM data but none for IAFA data, because there are not yet
enough sites using the IAFA format to warrant building a Broker.

Visit this URL:

http://town.hall.org/Harvest/brokers/lsm/query.html

Ask [keywords : crypt ]

And you'll get:

1. http URL: newssl0.01.lsm
host: sunsite.unc.edu
path: /pub/Linux/system/Network/libraries/newssl0.01.lsm
WAIS Results: Score: 1000, length: 794

Klick on newssl0.01.lsm and you get

Title: newssl
Version: 0.01
Entered-date: 7-9-95
Author: Shaun Savage savages@hemp.org
Maintained-by: Shaun Savage savages@hemp.org
Primary-site: ftp.hemp.org
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu
Platform: Linux only
Copying-policy: Semi GNU (If you make money with it I MAY want some)
End

You get this text directly from the site and directory, where you can
download the whole package from. I must admit, that's all I know about
it.

andreas