different directories?

Thanks,
Steve
Re: static and dynamic perls coexisting? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995, Steve Kelem wrote:

> Is there a way to build both a static and dynamically-linked perl5 at the
> same time? Or do I have to configure one way, do a build and installation,
> and then make clean, reconfigure, rebuild and then install into a different
> directory? Should the two executables have the same name, but live in
> different directories?

I'm not sure anybody has done this, except for testing purposes. What's
the goal?

You probably can get away with just building and installing the dynamic
version, then clearing up and building the static version and just install
it under "statperl5" or something. Getting the privlib's exactly right
will be a little more of a challenge.

Re: static and dynamic perls coexisting? [ In reply to ]
> Is there a way to build both a static and dynamically-linked perl5 at the
> same time? Or do I have to configure one way, do a build and installation,
> and then make clean, reconfigure, rebuild and then install into a different
> directory?

Good question. The expect build setup allows you to configure and
build in a subdirectory, so you could do several builds from the same
source in different subdirectories without cleaning up. I've wondered
whether perl allows the same thing.

-Danny
Re: static and dynamic perls coexisting? [ In reply to ]
In <4321.809397171@castor>
On Fri, 25 Aug 1995 17:32:51 -0700
Steve Kelem <steve.kelem@xilinx.com> writes:
>Is there a way to build both a static and dynamically-linked perl5 at the
>same time? Or do I have to configure one way, do a build and installation,
>and then make clean, reconfigure, rebuild and then install into a different
>directory? Should the two executables have the same name, but live in
>different directories?

Recent MakeMaker can build both kinds of *extension* in same directory.
e.g. I can build tkperl (perl + Tk static) and .../Tk.so Tk as dynamic
extension.