Mailing List Archive

Netapp: migrate Essex datasets to Folsom - missing metadata in DFM
Hi,

we are running Essex with Netapp backend. I'm attempting to backport
Folsom driver for Netapp back to Essex. The trouble I'm hitting is
that Folsom is storing in DFM metadata about the datasets (which Essex
was not). Looking at the code, it seems that driver is expecting
mandatory metadata attribute "OpenStackProject".

<na:DfmMetadataField>
<na:FieldName>OpenStackProject</na:FieldName>
<na:FieldValue>testproj</na:FieldValue>
</na:DfmMetadataField>

Ignoring for a moment my not-so-usual case, I'm quite sure we would
hit the same problem when migrating from Essex to Folsom by natural
path. Despite the effort, I wasn't able to find any document/release
notes/migration doc etc, which would mention how to deal with this
issue.

Can you please point me to the migration document if there is one ?

Is there an easy way to modify or add the missing metadata to existing
datasets ? If not, I would probably write a script with couple of soap
calls..

Thanks,

Brano Zarnovican

Re: Netapp: migrate Essex datasets to Folsom - missing metadata in DFM [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Swartzlander, Ben <
Ben.Swartzlander@netapp.com> wrote:
> This sounds less like an Essex->Folsom upgrade issue and more like an old
version->new version issue. We made some changes to the driver in the
Folsom timeframe and backported those changes to Essex, but we never
provided an upgrade path for users of the old driver to move to the new
driver.

True. You would have the same problem when upgrading from Essex-created
datasets to any post-Essex release.

This check is on Folsom branch and (Cinder) master. It is not present on
Essex branch.
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/stable/folsom/nova/volume/netapp.py#L254

> What's needed is for a script to go through all the datasets and set the
metadata field for the OpenStack project appropriately.

I wrote a simple script to make few SOAP calls (attached) to update dataset
meta-data.

> If there are few enough datasets, this could be done manually I suppose.

I would be interested to know how can you do it with existing tools ??

Regards,

Brano Zarnovican

PS: Even if the driver worked after metadata fix, I still could not get
snapshots. We are missing "flex_clone" licence :(
Re: Netapp: migrate Essex datasets to Folsom - missing metadata in DFM [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Brano Zarnovican <zarnovican@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a simple script to make few SOAP calls (attached) to update dataset meta-data.

Ooops.

Attached now.

Brano