Mailing List Archive

Nova Compute and Drivers
Hi-

Can any one guide me on the understanding the role of "LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver"
and " LibvirtOpenVswitchDriver " in bringing up the VMs?

Thanking you all

Trinath Somanchi,
+91 9866 235 130
Re: Nova Compute and Drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi-

Explaining my doubt clearly...

from the web based documentation from
http://openvswitch.org/openstack/documentation/

In the Nova Network NODE nova.conf configuration,

linuxnet_interface_driver=nova.network.linux_net.LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver

and in the Nova Compute Node nova.conf configuration,

libvirt_vif_driver=nova.virt.libvirt.vif.LibvirtOpenVswitchDriver

Both the drivers have OVS based plug and unplug functions.

What is the role of these drivers in bringing up the VMs....

Kindly help me understand this...

thanking you...

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Trinath Somanchi <trinath.somanchi@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> Can any one guide me on the understanding the role of "LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver"
> and " LibvirtOpenVswitchDriver " in bringing up the VMs?
>
> Thanking you all
>

> --
> Regards,
> Trinath Somanchi,
> +91 9866 235 130

Trinath Somanchi,
+91 9866 235 130
Re: Nova Compute and Drivers [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I'll give this a shot:

These are called by Nova when it plugs and unplugs its network interfaces. Nova drivers are an abstraction layer that allow it to work with different combinations of machine virtualization and switching technologies without knowing the details. Nova makes generic plug and unplug calls and the drivers implement them in a technology specific way. LibvirtOpenVswitchDriver is used by nova-compute for plugging and unplugging LibVirt VMs to Open vSwitch. LinuxOVSInterfaceDriver is used by nova-network for plugging and unplugging the Linux gateway device to Open vSwitch.

Darragh.