address for the instance. and Upon login into the instance, for "ifconfig
-a" I'm able to see eth0,eth1 and eth2 interfaces.

But for ifconfig, only eth0 is shown. If I do "dhclient eth1", I'm able to
get the ip address for the instance.

Is that for 'N' number of networks, instances get those many vNICs..?

Please help me understand the same.

Trinath Somanchi,
+91 9866 235 130
Re: Multiple vNICs for Multiple networks. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Your environment seems to work well.
The problem you have perhaps depends on your VM image.

If you use "ifconfig -a", you should see all thress interfaces.
When ifconfig w/o "-a" option show interface(s) which are UP,
ifconfig with "-a" shows all interfaces available on a machine.

> But for ifconfig, only eth0 is shown. If I do "dhclient eth1", I'm able to
> get the ip address for the instance.

This result shows eth1 has been created as you expected,
but eth1 and eth2 are not UP.
Which interfaces are up on boot depends on a VM image you used.

if you use Ubuntu Server images, you need to add the following lines
to /etc/network/interfaces:
----
auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
auto eth2
iface eth2 inet dhcp
----

Thanks,

Akihiro MOTOKI <amotoki@gmail.com>

Re: Multiple vNICs for Multiple networks. [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Yes, if you do not specify networks using the “–nic” option you will get a vnic on each of the public networks and one for each network belonging to that tenant. Using the “—nic net-id=uuid-xyz” option you can refer to specific networks on which you want the vnics.

Thanks,
~Sumit.

I have installed Openstack+Quantum+OVS in two machines.

One Controller and the other as node.

I have created tenant specific/labeled and public labeled networks.

Upon bringing up instances in a tenant, I'm able to see 3 types of IP address for the instance. and Upon login into the instance, for "ifconfig -a" I'm able to see eth0,eth1 and eth2 interfaces.