Mailing List Archive

[Quantum][Nova] requested_id and port spec
Hi Dan,folks

As we talked in netstack IRC meetins, I submit this as bug.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1031096

I tried to write this, but the code looks very ugly in order to keep
backward compatibility.
So I wanna propose an alternative design.
In this design, we will use fixed_ip as a temporary identifier of the port.

1. create port
fixed_ip assigned

2. specify the fixed_ip in nova boot

3. If the fixed_ip is specified,
nova.network.quantumv2.api.API will check existing port who use the fixed_ip.

if there are existing port and device_id is None
use the port_id.

if there are no existing port.
create new port with the fixed_ip

This approach needs no client side change.

Thank you in advance
Nachi Ueno

Re: [Quantum][Nova] requested_id and port spec [ In reply to ]

Hi Nachi,
It is seemingly a way to make it work, but I think we are thinking to provide 'port-id' or just 'port' to specify the top resource in quantum API. fix ip is not one.

Besides, Port can be assigned to more than one fixed IP.

Imagine in horizon, we created many networks, ports and subnets, but when booting a VM, we use a fixed_ip to specify our resource indirectly.

By the way, we should use openstack-dev@list.openstack.org

Thanks
Yong Sheng Gong

-----netstack-bounces+gongysh=cn.ibm.com@lists.launchpad.net wrote: -----To: openstack@lists.openstack.org, netstack@lists.launchpad.net

Re: [Quantum][Nova] requested_id and port spec [ In reply to ]
Hi Yong

> Hi Nachi,
> It is seemingly a way to make it work, but I think we are thinking to
> provide 'port-id' or just 'port' to specify the top resource in quantum API.
> fix ip is not one.
>
> Besides, Port can be assigned to more than one fixed IP.

Ah, It it true.
OK I'll implement port id version.

> Imagine in horizon, we created many networks, ports and subnets, but when
> booting a VM, we use a fixed_ip to specify our resource indirectly.

> By the way, we should use openstack-dev@list.openstack.org

Sorry, I changed my mail address recently. But launchpad rejects new
mail to receive.
I'll find way to fix this.

Thanks
Nachi