Mailing List Archive

Re: [Quantum] Starting a discussion on the official spec for v2 API
On 07/17/2012 10:28 AM, Salvatore Orlando wrote:
> Hello people of Quantum!
> As the Folsom release approaches, it is time to gather together and
> finalize the specification for the v2 API, so that the Openstack-doc
> team might cast it in stone for the sake of the Quantum users!
>
> In order to make this happen, it looks like there are just a few bits
> that needs to be agreed upon, and I think they can be summarized as
> follows:
> - 'name' attributes and whether they should be mandatory. It looks
> like we all agree we want them, but it has to be decided whether
> i) they should be unique or not.
> ii) they should be mandatory or not.

Originally when I started to use Quantum I found it very awkward that
the name was not unique. My understanding from the meeting last night
was that it will no longer be mandatory for a network and does not need
to be unique. I wrote a mail to the list this morning suggesting that we
use description instead of name. Personally I think that this is a less
binding way of describing a network, subnet or port.

> - 'public' attribute for networks. As we did not get negative feedback
> on the proposal, I am going to assume nobody has strong opinions
> against this decision.

I would have preferred network type as it is more generic. Nonetheless I
do not have any strong objections to this.

> - security group API. We have a blueprint open and targeted to F-3
> (https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-security-groups).
> Personally I do not feel it is a good idea at this stage proposing
> them for the core v2 API in Folsom. Apart from the necessary
> discussion concerning the APIs, we will need support across all the
> plugins, which is hardly going to happen IMHO. If you have a different
> opinion, this is the right thread to shout it!

I agree with you. I think that we still have a few road bumps to deal
with. For example when using devstack with Quantum V2 and the DHCP
agent, the DHCP requests do not arrive at the dnsmasq interface ... I am
trying to understand the reason for this. I have set the libvirt drivers
to "LIBVIRT_FIREWALL_DRIVER=nova.virt.firewall.NoopFirewallDriver" Not
sure if this is enough. Any help will be great.

Re: [Quantum] Starting a discussion on the official spec for v2 API [ In reply to ]
Hi All,

I second Gary's suggestion here for a network type attribute. I was curious to know why we moved away from the kwargs mechanism which we had earlier in the core API. That made it easier to pass any plugin-specific parameters which need not be core attributes, and not have to necessarily implement an extension for that.

Thanks,
~Sumit.