Mailing List Archive

Want to start system/integration testing for quantum
Hi all,

I want to start a blueprint to implement the "System/Integration
testing" listed in http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumStarterBugs. this
blueprint said "
We need system/integration testing that exercises much more functionality
than the basic excercise.sh script. We'd also like to explore integration
with Tempest and working with the openstack CI team to make sure that both
unit tests and system/integration testing is a gate to Quantum commits in
Folsom. (interested parties: debo, davelaps) "

So my idea is to make a initial commit into tempest project first,
after I have finished it, I will continue to consider adding more quantum
system test cases into tempest. this initial commit will include following
3 aspects:
1) only add 3 basic system test cases ( create tenants, create vms,
create networks ) into tempest just by referring
$devstack/exercises/quantum.sh
2) finish the common service module code for quantum in
$tempest/tempest/services/quantum/json
3) update $devstack/tools/devstack's build_bm_mulit.sh script to
leverage the openstack jenkin's infrastructure to set up quantum testing
env.

from the doc ( http://ci.openstack.org/ ), we can learn the
openstack CI testing process, my understand is:
Jenkins and Gerrit has been integrated by a blueprint project
( gate-tempest-devstack-vm,
https://jenkins.openstack.org/view/Tempest/job/gate-tempest-devstack-vm/configure
), so following CI process ( openstack-ci ) will start when we commit the
code to Gerrit for reviewing.
1, use orachestra & cobbler to install operation system for
bare-metal machines, and also use LVM/kexec to accelerate the rebooting
time.
2, then use puppet (openstack-ci-puppet) to install and configure
other dependent software.
3, use $devstack/tools/devstack's build_bm_mulit.sh script to install
openstack on CI testing cluster. ( can refer
http://ci.openstack.org/jenkins.html#run-test-suite )
4, finally run tempest testing suite.
so I think in order to let CI can run quantum tempest testing, I also
need to update $devstack/tools/devstack's build_bm_mulit.sh script to build
an openstack with quantum install on several bare metal machines.

can someone double check my understanding how it works above and
provide any additional input ? in addition, If it is ok, should I add one
new blueprint or just do it under blueprint
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/quantum-system-test ?
looking forward to your reply, many thanks.

Best Regards.

Zhang Hua(́Ȼ)
IBM China System and Technology Lab(CSTL), Beijing
E-Mail: zhhuabj@cn.ibm.com
Tel: 86-10-82452020
Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China
100193
Re: Want to start system/integration testing for quantum [ In reply to ]
Hi,
Great to hear. One thing that is important to address is the different
plugins. I guess that this may complicate things a little. I think that
the addition of Melange may also extend the scope. As of yet I am not
familiar with this.
Thanks
Gary

Re: Want to start system/integration testing for quantum [ In reply to ]
Hi Hua,

Great to have you working on this, it is very important for the Quantum
project.

James, Monty, and Jay, please chime in with any comments about what Hua can
do to help out with Quantum system test.

Sounds like you've done a lot of reading and are now more familiar with the
openstack CI infrastructure than most of us are. That's great. I'm CC'ing
James Blair and Monty Taylor (openstack CI team) and Jay Pipes (openstack
QA team + tempest) so that they can participate in the discussion as well.

One area that is definitely worth exploring is to get Quantum working with
the automated gating tests that the CI team uses to test prior to all
OpenStack comments. James and Monty did some work on this, but its
currently stuck waiting for someone from the Quantum team to investigate
the issues. A couple people have expressed interest in helping out, but
I'm sure they would be happy if you look at it as well. For more
information, you can see the review and comments here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6641/ . James and Monty can probably help
here.

I think your goal of exploring multi-node setups is a very good one. We
recently added multi-node support to devstack for Quantum, though the code
has not yet been fully merged into devstack, it is available here:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7001/ with instructions here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumDevstack . At least with the openvswitch
plugin, you can enable L2-in-L3 tunneling, which means you can create
private networks in a multi-node setup without having to deal with VLANs in
the physical infrastructure. As a result, you can even use VMs in a public
cloud to create your multi-node setups (I do this regularly).

I also wanted to make sure you were aware of some initial Tempest efforts
around testing Quantum, though they never were merged in fully to my
knowledge: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/4896/ . There was an
interesting discussion in the review thread about the relative benefits of
leveraging the existing Quantum client libraries for testing.

Also, as Gary mentioned, there will be a lot of change coming in the next
month or two related to a new Quantum API and client libraries. I
definitely still think its worth you pressing forward with system test
already, and we can modify or expand the system tests once the new APIs are
fully baked.

Feel free to create new blueprints, or re-purpose the new one. If you
choose new blueprints, we should probably deprecate the old one, so that
people aren't confused.

Thanks again for working on this!

Dan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Re: Want to start system/integration testing for quantum [ In reply to ]
Dan Wendlandt <dan@nicira.com> writes:

> Hi Hua,
>
> Great to have you working on this, it is very important for the Quantum
> project.

Yay!

> One area that is definitely worth exploring is to get Quantum working with
> the automated gating tests that the CI team uses to test prior to all
> OpenStack comments. James and Monty did some work on this, but its
> currently stuck waiting for someone from the Quantum team to investigate
> the issues. A couple people have expressed interest in helping out, but
> I'm sure they would be happy if you look at it as well. For more
> information, you can see the review and comments here:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6641/ . James and Monty can probably help
> here.

I restored that review to keep it on our dashboards and make it easier
to pick up. I definitely think getting devstack fixed so that we can
use quantum in the devstack gate is very important. And once that's
there, we can start running tempest too (we're still planning on gating
with tempest eventually).

Please let me know if I can help.

-Jim

Re: Want to start system/integration testing for quantum [ In reply to ]
Hi Dan,

Thanks for your important input for me.

notice that there is one blueprint which is trying to add quantum to
devstack gate ( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6641/ ), and another
efforts to add basic json service and unit tests for quantum
( https://review.openstack.org/#/c/4896/ ). so I think I can continue to
add basic quantum system tests into tempest on the basis of them, and also
created a new blueprint
(https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quantum/+spec/add-basic-quantum-system-tests)
to track it, I will work on it.

in addition, I also saw the status of
"https://review.openstack.org/#/c/4896/" is Abandoned, if we need to
re-activate it ? any idea ? thanks.

Hi James,

very thank you for restoring the review for
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/6641/, thus we can run quantum tempest in
the devstack gate.

Best Regards.

Zhang Hua(张华)

From: Dan Wendlandt <dan@nicira.com>
To: Hua BJ Zhang/China/IBM@IBMCN,
Cc: netstack@lists.launchpad.net, "James E. Blair"
<corvus@inaugust.com>, Monty Taylor <mordred@inaugust.com>, Jay
Pipes <jaypipes@gmail.com>

Re: Want to start system/integration testing for quantum [ In reply to ]
Hi Hua,

I have submitted Network (Quantum) Client for Tempest and added few basic Quantum tests (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/7228/). This is still under review.

Thanks & Regards,
Unmesh Gurjar | Lead Engineer | Vertex Software Private Ltd. | w. +91.20.6604.1500 x 379 | m. +91.982.324.7631 | unmesh.gurjar@nttdata.com<mailto:unmesh.gurjar@nttdata.com> | Follow us on Twitter@NTTDATAAmericas

E-Mail: zhhuabj@cn.ibm.com<mailto:zhhuabj@cn.ibm.com>
Tel: 86-10-82452020
Address: Building 28(Ring Building), ZhongGuanCun Software Park,
No.8 Dong Bei Wang West Road, Haidian District Beijing P.R.China 100193

[.Inactive hide details for Dan Wendlandt ---25/05/2012 14:43:54---Hi Hua, Great to have you working on this, it is very importan]Dan Wendlandt ---25/05/2012 14:43:54---Hi Hua, Great to have you working on this, it is very important for the Quantum

From: Dan Wendlandt <dan@nicira.com<mailto:dan@nicira.com>>
To: Hua BJ Zhang/China/IBM@IBMCN,
Cc: netstack@lists.launchpad.net<mailto:netstack@lists.launchpad.net>, "James E. Blair" <corvus@inaugust.com<mailto:corvus@inaugust.com>>, Monty Taylor <mordred@inaugust.com<mailto:mordred@inaugust.com>>, Jay Pipes <jaypipes@gmail.com<mailto:jaypipes@gmail.com>>
Date: 25/05/2012 14:43