Mailing List Archive

Re: [Openstack] About openstack common client
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:09 AM, Andrew Bogott <abogott@wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On 5/18/12 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:
>

> Hi,
> I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient
> https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclient and other clients.
> Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client,
> keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?
>
> My understanding (and hope) is that ultimately there will be a separation
> between shell interfaces and REST interfaces. Openstackclient will
> implement the commandline, and the other clients (python-novaclient,
> python-glanceclient, etc.) will provide python APIs for REST clients, of
> which openstackclient is one.

That is also my understanding of The Plan.

> by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it
> seems it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to
> implement two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be in
> openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.
>
> I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped
> out. We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly discourage
> development on those shell commands though.

I'm waffling on agreeing with you here. It is true that (AFAIK) we aren't
set up for packaging builds yet for semi-official installations (i.e., not
using devstack), but I would like to have people who are more familiar with
the other command line programs contributing to the common client, too.

Doug
Re: [Openstack] About openstack common client [ In reply to ]
On 5/18/12 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong wrote:

> Hi,
> I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient
> https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclientand other clients.
> Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client,
> keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?
My understanding (and hope) is that ultimately there will be a
separation between shell interfaces and REST interfaces.
Openstackclient will implement the commandline, and the other clients
(python-novaclient, python-glanceclient, etc.) will provide python APIs
for REST clients, of which openstackclient is one.

> by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it
> seems it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to
> implement two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be
> in openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.
I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped
out. We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly
discourage development on those shell commands though.

-Andrew
Re: [Openstack] About openstack common client [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 12:16 AM, Yong Sheng Gong <gongysh@cn.ibm.com> wrote:
> I just want to ask about the relationship among openstackclient
> https://launchpad.net/python-openstackclient and other clients.
> Will openstackclient replace other clients ( such as quantum client,
> keystone client, nova client, xx) or just a supplement?

It will be a fully-functional-and-then-some replacement.

> by now, the openstackclient is calling codes from other clients, so it seems
> it is just another client wrapper. In this case, we will have to implement
> two set of front codes to call specific client. One will be in
> openstackclient, and one will be in separate client itself.

I'm not sure what you are implementing here; if it is an interface
that uses the CLI to drive OpenStack then you only need to talk to one
CLI (openstackclient) or to the existing CLIs (*client).
openstackclient has an advantage for scripted use in that it has an
option for easily parsable output.

dt

--

Dean Troyer
dtroyer@gmail.com

Re: [Openstack] About openstack common client [ In reply to ]
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:17 AM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann@dreamhost.com> wrote:
>> I expect non-common shell clients to be deprecated and eventually ripped
>> out.  We're probably a bit too early in the game to explicitly discourage
>> development on those shell commands though.
>
> I'm waffling on agreeing with you here. It is true that (AFAIK) we aren't
> set up for packaging builds yet for semi-official installations (i.e., not
> using devstack), but I would like to have people who are more familiar with
> the other command line programs contributing to the common client, too.

I expect the existing project-specific CLIs to be around fot some
time. The bit that openstackclient replaces is actually pretty small
code-wise so maintaining them isn't as much duplicated work as it
might seem.

dt

--

Dean Troyer