Mailing List Archive

issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu
Tested with Essex release on Precise Beta2 using the OVS plugin.

Would be great if someone with debian packaging experience could take a
look at this, as things currently seem pretty busted, though perhaps I'm
doing something wrong.

Dan

root@ubuntu1:/etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch# dpkg -l | grep quantum
ii python-quantum 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is
a virutal network service for Openstack. (python library)
ii python-quantumclient 2012.1-0ubuntu1 client -
Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack
ii quantum-common 2012.1-0ubuntu2 common -
Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack.
ii quantum-plugin-openvswitch 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is
a virtual network service for Openstack. (openvswitch plugin)
ii quantum-server 2012.1-0ubuntu2 server -
Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack

Here's a list of issues:

Ran apt-get install quantum-server

Could not install quantum-server
- chown: cannot access `/etc/quantum/' : No such file or directory
- chown: cannot access `/var/run/quantum/' : No such file or directory

Fixed this by making the directories manually

- plugins.ini and quantum.conf should be copied from "etc" directory in
source to /etc/quantum . /etc/quantum is empty right now.

- "service quantum-server start" doesn't work. No init scripts.

- quantum-ryu-agent was installed in /usr/bin even though I didn't install
the ryu plugin.

Ran apt-get install quantum-openvswitch-plugin

- quantum-openvswitch-agent was installed into
/usr/bin/quantum-openvswitch-agent/quantum-openvswitch-agent, so it did not
show up in the path.

- no logging to /var/log/quantum (at least server logging should go here,
ideally agents would have log as well)

- mysql, python-mysqldb should be a dependency for the
quantum-openvswitch-plugin

- I suspect agents should be separate packages from the main plugin
packages. Plugins correspond to code that is running on the main quantum
controller (i.e., the node running the API) . Agents run on each compute
node, managing the vswitch.

- ovs quantum agent package should depend on python-mysqldb and
openvswitch-switch

- ideally, agent would have init scripts as well.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Hi,
i'll take a deep look at them later today.

Ghe Rivero

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Dan Wendlandt <dan@nicira.com> wrote:

> Tested with Essex release on Precise Beta2 using the OVS plugin.
>
> Would be great if someone with debian packaging experience could take a
> look at this, as things currently seem pretty busted, though perhaps I'm
> doing something wrong.
>
> Dan
>

> root@ubuntu1:/etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch# dpkg -l | grep quantum
> ii python-quantum 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is
> a virutal network service for Openstack. (python library)
> ii python-quantumclient 2012.1-0ubuntu1 client -
> Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack
> ii quantum-common 2012.1-0ubuntu2 common -
> Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack.
> ii quantum-plugin-openvswitch 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is
> a virtual network service for Openstack. (openvswitch plugin)
> ii quantum-server 2012.1-0ubuntu2 server -
> Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack
>
> Here's a list of issues:
>
> Ran apt-get install quantum-server
>
> Could not install quantum-server
> - chown: cannot access `/etc/quantum/' : No such file or directory
> - chown: cannot access `/var/run/quantum/' : No such file or directory
>
> Fixed this by making the directories manually
>
> - plugins.ini and quantum.conf should be copied from "etc" directory in
> source to /etc/quantum . /etc/quantum is empty right now.
>
> - "service quantum-server start" doesn't work. No init scripts.
>
> - quantum-ryu-agent was installed in /usr/bin even though I didn't install
> the ryu plugin.
>
> Ran apt-get install quantum-openvswitch-plugin
>
> - quantum-openvswitch-agent was installed into
> /usr/bin/quantum-openvswitch-agent/quantum-openvswitch-agent, so it did not
> show up in the path.
>
> - no logging to /var/log/quantum (at least server logging should go here,
> ideally agents would have log as well)
>
> - mysql, python-mysqldb should be a dependency for the
> quantum-openvswitch-plugin
>
> - I suspect agents should be separate packages from the main plugin
> packages. Plugins correspond to code that is running on the main quantum
> controller (i.e., the node running the API) . Agents run on each compute
> node, managing the vswitch.
>
> - ovs quantum agent package should depend on python-mysqldb and
> openvswitch-switch
>
> - ideally, agent would have init scripts as well.

Ghe Rivero
*OpenStack & Distribution Engineer
**www.stackops.com | * ghe.rivero@stackops.com <diego.parrilla@stackops.com>
** | +34 625 63 45 23 | skype:ghe.rivero*
* <http://www.stackops.com/>
*

*

******************** ADVERTENCIA LEGAL ********************
Le informamos, como destinatario de este mensaje, que el correo electrónico
y las comunicaciones por medio de Internet no permiten asegurar ni
garantizar la confidencialidad de los mensajes transmitidos, así como
tampoco su integridad o su correcta recepción, por lo que STACKOPS
TECHNOLOGIES S.L. no asume responsabilidad alguna por tales circunstancias.
Si no consintiese en la utilización del correo electrónico o de las
comunicaciones vía Internet le rogamos nos lo comunique y ponga en nuestro
conocimiento de manera inmediata. Este mensaje va dirigido, de manera
exclusiva, a su destinatario y contiene información confidencial y sujeta
al secreto profesional, cuya divulgación no está permitida por la ley. En
caso de haber recibido este mensaje por error, le rogamos que, de forma
inmediata, nos lo comunique mediante correo electrónico remitido a nuestra
atención y proceda a su eliminación, así como a la de cualquier documento
adjunto al mismo. Asimismo, le comunicamos que la distribución, copia o
utilización de este mensaje, o de cualquier documento adjunto al mismo,
cualquiera que fuera su finalidad, están prohibidas por la ley.

***************** PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL ****************
We hereby inform you, as addressee of this message, that e-mail and
Internet do not guarantee the confidentiality, nor the completeness or
proper reception of the messages sent and, thus, STACKOPS TECHNOLOGIES S.L.
does not assume any liability for those circumstances. Should you not agree
to the use of e-mail or to communications via Internet, you are kindly
requested to notify us immediately. This message is intended exclusively
for the person to whom it is addressed and contains privileged and
confidential information protected from disclosure by law. If you are not
the addressee indicated in this message, you should immediately delete it
and any attachments and notify the sender by reply e-mail. In such case,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or
use of this message or any attachments, for any purpose, is strictly
prohibited by law.
Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 00:28 -0700, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
> Tested with Essex release on Precise Beta2 using the OVS plugin.
>

> Would be great if someone with debian packaging experience could take
> a look at this, as things currently seem pretty busted, though perhaps
> I'm doing something wrong.
>

> Dan

I'll take another look today Dan. Some of this seems to be issues
previously reported :( so I'll see what's going on.

-dave

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Hi,
just a small comment
the packages should "recommend" mysql and python-mysqldb, but since the
default quantumn option is to use sqlite, they are not really necessary to
make it work out of the box. Anyway, it's not possible to address every
environment just by installing the default packages... but let's see what
we can do. The rest of the issues are under control. If Canonical/Ubuntu
people want, i can send a path to fix them.

Ghe Rivero

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 9:27 AM, Ghe Rivero <ghe.rivero@stackops.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> just a small comment
> the packages should "recommend" mysql and python-mysqldb, but since the
> default quantumn option is to use sqlite, they are not really necessary to
> make it work out of the box. Anyway, it's not possible to address every
> environment just by installing the default packages...

That's fair, and specifying mysql and python-mysqldb as part of the install
instructions is pretty simple.

> but let's see what we can do. The rest of the issues are under control. If
> Canonical/Ubuntu people want, i can send a path to fix them.

Please do. I think Dave (CC'd) was looking into them too.

Thanks!

Dan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan Wendlandt
Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Bug and patch reported.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bug/979159

Separated agents and the init (startup) scripts bugs are remaining. I'll
open a separate bug for them.

Ghe Rivero

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Apr 11, 2012, at 12:28 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:

> Tested with Essex release on Precise Beta2 using the OVS plugin.
>
> Would be great if someone with debian packaging experience could take a look at this, as things currently seem pretty busted, though perhaps I'm doing something wrong.
>
> Dan
>

> root@ubuntu1:/etc/quantum/plugins/openvswitch# dpkg -l | grep quantum
> ii python-quantum 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is a virutal network service for Openstack. (python library)
> ii python-quantumclient 2012.1-0ubuntu1 client - Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack
> ii quantum-common 2012.1-0ubuntu2 common - Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack.
> ii quantum-plugin-openvswitch 2012.1-0ubuntu2 Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack. (openvswitch plugin)
> ii quantum-server 2012.1-0ubuntu2 server - Quantum is a virtual network service for Openstack
>
> Here's a list of issues:
>
> Ran apt-get install quantum-server
>
> Could not install quantum-server
> - chown: cannot access `/etc/quantum/' : No such file or directory
> - chown: cannot access `/var/run/quantum/' : No such file or directory

I think these just need to be added to quantum-common.dirs file in the debian directory of the quantum package. If the proper process is to open a bug in launchpad against the quantum packaging I can go ahead and do that if it is not done already.

-Ken

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
Hi folks,

Is anyone actively working on these issues:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bugs ?

I'm planning on updating the admin guide with info about Red Hat and Ubuntu
packaged installs, but at this point, I think we'd have to mark Ubuntu as
unsupported with packages. Definitely don't want to have to do that.

Dan

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is anyone actively working on these issues: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bugs ?

I can work on this one: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bug/979190 but probably won't get it done till some point early next week during the sumit. If anyone else thinks they can get it done faster please feel free. It looks like the other /var/run bug will be fixed
by this one if the upstart scripts properly create /var/run/quantum.

-Ken

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Is anyone actively working on these issues: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bugs ?

Just dug into this some more and looks like a bunch of these issues are resolved in this change set:

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/quantum/precise/revision/13

-Ken

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Apr 13, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Ken Caruso wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Is anyone actively working on these issues: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bugs ?
>
> Just dug into this some more and looks like a bunch of these issues are resolved in this change set:
>
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/quantum/precise/revision/13

Just contacted Chuck on the openstack-packaging channel and he is going to upload a fix that I believe addresses:

#979163
#979190
#972019
#979159

-Ken

Re: issues with quantum packaging on Ubuntu [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 11:58 AM, Ken Caruso <ken@ipl31.net> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2012, at 11:22 AM, Ken Caruso wrote:
>

> On Apr 13, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> Is anyone actively working on these issues:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/quantum/+bugs ?
>

> Just dug into this some more and looks like a bunch of these issues are
> resolved in this change set:
>

> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/precise/quantum/precise/revision/13
>

> Just contacted Chuck on the openstack-packaging channel and he is going to
> upload a fix that I believe addresses:
>
> #979163
> #979190
> #972019