Mailing List Archive

[OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia
Hi everyone,

As part of the OpenInfra + Bitergia partnership, we are going to set up an
OpenInfra Community Metrics Dashboard on the Bitergia Analytics Platform
for the OpenStack community.

I’m reaching out to discuss how to configure the dashboard, specifically:

*What project structure do we want on the dashboard?* We can combine data
sources in a project structure to allow filtering data in the dashboard for
each project. To be specific, we need a list of repositories and mailing
lists and how they should be grouped in “projects”. With OpenStack’s
community size and scope, there are different ways we can set this up and
we’d like to discuss with you what a good starting configuration is.

We could maybe use the info from the governance repo in defining projects:
https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/projects.yaml#L1770

A caveat with this approach: My understanding is that the projects.yaml
file matches teams to repositories but does not include special interest
groups. Would we be missing something?

Another approach could be to have a more general overview of the software
projects on the OpenStack Map: https://www.openstack.org/software/

If it would help, we could set up an open meeting in which we discuss the
pros and cons of different setup options.

Best,
Georg

--

Georg Link*, Ph.D.*

Director of Sales

TZ: US Central (Chicago) Time

Stay connected! LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/georglink/> | Twitter
<https://twitter.com/georglink>

www.bitergia.com | @Bitergia <https://es.linkedin.com/company/bitergia>

Software analytics for your peace of mind
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Georg Link wrote:
> [...]
> *What project structure do we want on the dashboard?*  We can combine
> data sources in a project structure to allow filtering data in the
> dashboard for each project. To be specific, we need a list of
> repositories and mailing lists and how they should be grouped in
> “projects”. With OpenStack’s community size and scope, there are
> different ways we can set this up and we’d like to discuss with you what
> a good starting configuration is.
>
> We could maybe use the info from the governance repo in defining
> projects:
> https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/projects.yaml#L1770
>
> A caveat with this approach: My understanding is that the projects.yaml
> file matches teams to repositories but does not include special interest
> groups. Would we be missing something?

Thanks Georg for starting this discussion on how to best track OpenStack
activity in the OpenInfra Community dashboards.

The repositories actively used by OpenStack are defined in 3 different
files in the openstack/governance git repository[1].

As you've seen, project teams (producing OpenStack software, part of the
OpenStack releases) are defined in the reference/projects.yaml file.
This is the most important activity to track. I would use one group for
each project team.

Repositories used by SIGs are defined in reference/sigs-repos.yaml. For
this we could have one group per SIG, or one group for all SIG work. The
former probably makes more sense as those are different workgroups, but
the level of git activity there is usually pretty low...

Repositories used for the governance of the project by the Technical
Committee (TC) are defined in reference/technical-committee-repos.yaml.
A single "Technical Committee" group should cover them all.

Another option would be to just have one "Other" group covering all the
"non-project-teams" repositories (SIGs + TC).

[1] https://opendev.org/openstack/governance

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
---- On Tue, 16 Aug 2022 13:41:26 +0530 Thierry Carrez wrote ---
> Georg Link wrote:
> > [...]
> > *What project structure do we want on the dashboard?*  We can combine
> > data sources in a project structure to allow filtering data in the
> > dashboard for each project. To be specific, we need a list of
> > repositories and mailing lists and how they should be grouped in
> > “projects”. With OpenStack’s community size and scope, there are
> > different ways we can set this up and we’d like to discuss with you what
> > a good starting configuration is.
> >
> > We could maybe use the info from the governance repo in defining
> > projects:
> > https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/projects.yaml#L1770
> >
> > A caveat with this approach: My understanding is that the projects.yaml
> > file matches teams to repositories but does not include special interest
> > groups. Would we be missing something?
>
> Thanks Georg for starting this discussion on how to best track OpenStack
> activity in the OpenInfra Community dashboards.
>
> The repositories actively used by OpenStack are defined in 3 different
> files in the openstack/governance git repository[1].
>
> As you've seen, project teams (producing OpenStack software, part of the
> OpenStack releases) are defined in the reference/projects.yaml file.
> This is the most important activity to track. I would use one group for
> each project team.
>
> Repositories used by SIGs are defined in reference/sigs-repos.yaml. For
> this we could have one group per SIG, or one group for all SIG work. The
> former probably makes more sense as those are different workgroups, but
> the level of git activity there is usually pretty low...
>
> Repositories used for the governance of the project by the Technical
> Committee (TC) are defined in reference/technical-committee-repos.yaml.
> A single "Technical Committee" group should cover them all.
>
> Another option would be to just have one "Other" group covering all the
> "non-project-teams" repositories (SIGs + TC).

Thanks Georg and ttx.

I think having separate group for SIG and TC will be more clear instead of 'Other' group.
Those groups also manage contribution activities and counting them separately will make
sense.

One question: along with project/SIG/TC groups we will still have per repo stats right?

Also, it will be good to inform dashboard in openstack-discuss ML also (any time you need
other specific feedback or once it is ready).

-gmann

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Thanks Gmann and Thierry,

Sorry for the delay. Ildiko and Thierry met with Santi, Igor, and I today
at OSSummit EU to discuss next steps.

We'll start to set the dashboard up with the projects as suggested. We can
iterate and improve over time.

I think having separate group for SIG and TC will be more clear instead of
> 'Other' group.
> Those groups also manage contribution activities and counting them
> separately will make
> sense.

We will do SIG and TC separately.

> One question: along with project/SIG/TC groups we will still have per repo
> stats right?

Yes, all activities are connected to specific repositories and you can
filter by that as well.

> Also, it will be good to inform dashboard in openstack-discuss ML also
> (any time you need
> other specific feedback or once it is ready).

We can certainly share what we have once we have a first deployment ready
to get feedback.

Best,
Georg
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Thanks Georg for updates and considering the feedback.

-gmann

---- On Wed, 14 Sep 2022 23:16:49 +0530 Georg Link wrote ---

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Hi everyone,

We're making progress with setting up the dashboard.

There are 14 pipermail mailing lists at
https://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo.
Under what group/project(s) do you want those?
Separate projects or all in one?

As a reminder of what groups we have:
- Technical Committee with all from technical-committee-repos.yaml
<https://opendev.org/openstack/governance/src/branch/master/reference/technical-committee-repos.yaml>
- SIG with all from sigs-repos.yaml
<https://opendev.org/openstack/governance/src/branch/master/reference/sigs-repos.yaml>
- Projects as defined in projects.yaml
<https://opendev.org/openstack/governance/src/branch/master/reference/projects.yaml>

Best,
Georg

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-22 06:45:03 -0500 (-0500), Georg Link wrote:
[...]
> There are 14 pipermail mailing lists at
> https://lists.openstack.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo.
> Under what group/project(s) do you want those?
> Separate projects or all in one?
[...]

For the most part, the mailing lists aren't specific to any single
project or team.

Also be aware that URL only shows currently active lists: we
maintain a larger index which includes retired lists, but it's only
just come to my attention that we inadvertently blocked access to it
when reworking the web service configuration recently. Normally
there will be structured data at
https://lists.opendev.org/archives.yaml which includes all list
archives (currently active and previously used), but it won't be
available until https://review.opendev.org/858913 merges and
deploys, hopefully in the next day or so.

One other thing we should keep in mind... We're hoping to start
upgrading our Mailman listserv sites to version 3 in a couple of
months time, and that uses an entirely different archiver
(Hyperkitty). We'll be importing existing archives for active lists,
but probably not for any which have been retired. The plan is to
continue exposing copies of all the old Pipermail archives however,
in order to avoid breaking links people may have previously made to
historic messages at those old URLs. The lists.openstack.org site
will be one of the last ones we migrate to MM3, so this probably
won't impact OpenStack's dashboard until early 2023, but at that
point any newly arriving messages for its lists will only appear in
the Hyperkitty versions of the archives.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jeremy,

I appreciate the heads up on the currently unavailable archives and the
upcoming changes.

How do you suggest we group the mailing lists? Maybe not at all or create a
new "project" called "mailing lists"?

Best,
Georg

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Georg Link wrote:
> How do you suggest we group the mailing lists? Maybe not at all or
> create a new "project" called "mailing lists"?

Not grouping them at all sounds like the preferred solution, since they
apply to all projects... How do they show up in that case? Only at the
top scope but excluded once you start looking at a particular group?

Thierry Carrez

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Sep 23, 2022 at 1:42 AM Thierry Carrez <thierry@openstack.org>
wrote:

> Georg Link wrote:
> > How do you suggest we group the mailing lists? Maybe not at all or
> > create a new "project" called "mailing lists"?
>
> Not grouping them at all sounds like the preferred solution, since they
> apply to all projects... How do they show up in that case? Only at the
> top scope but excluded once you start looking at a particular group?

Yes, I believe you are correct.

We'll keep you updated as we make progress with the OpenStack dashboard.
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
On 2022-09-23 10:36:40 +0200 (+0200), Thierry Carrez wrote:
[...]
> Not grouping them at all sounds like the preferred solution, since
> they apply to all projects.
[...]

That sounds fine to me. I doubt we'll expect to slice-n-dice mailing
list activity by anything other than senders and times. That said,
one thing I've been doing in OpenDev's engagement reports is
filtering by known nonhuman senders, since we have some high-volume
mailing lists which pretty much only include posts from automation:

https://opendev.org/opendev/engagement/src/commit/fd6cd1d/engagement/stats.py#L207-L233

Also, to follow up, the aforementioned structured data list of all
our ML archives is once again accessible at
https://lists.opendev.org/archives.yaml and I've added regression
testing to ensure we don't inadvertently break it in the future.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Thanks Jeremy!

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Dear Jeremy,

The deployment of your instance at https://openstack.biterg.io/ is almost
ready. The data related to Git is already available, but we need to confirm
with you some details about the mailing lists we will be tracking for you.

The platform organizes the different tracked sources into sections named
"Projects" inside the instance. We use this information to have the
possibility of filtering data with another level of granularity (i.e., in
this case, a "Project" could group many mailing lists), hence the question
of which category we should use.

Please note that you will still be able to have all the data aggregated.
Having said that, if you don't want to add those lists under any particular
category, I suggest they can be added inside a section called "General",
which would appear as a fictional project.

This would allow this filtering to work anyway, for instance: if you want
to see the overall view with all the projects (no filters are needed), and
also if you want to obtain a single-project view, you could add this
"General" project as a complimentary filter.

Please, let us know if you agree so we can proceed this way.

That said,
> one thing I've been doing in OpenDev's engagement reports is
> filtering by known nonhuman senders, since we have some high-volume
> mailing lists which pretty much only include posts from automation

Answering this part of your last message, Bitergia Analytics Platform
includes an identity management system that supports marking non-human
accounts (as Bots), so you will be able to filter out this activity if
needed.

Best, Miguel Ángel

Miguel Ángel Fernández

Consultant - Analytics Specialist

TZ: Central European (Madrid) Time

Stay connected! LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/mafesan/>

Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
On 2022-10-21 19:07:00 +0200 (+0200), Miguel Ángel Fernández Sánchez wrote:
[...]
> Please note that you will still be able to have all the data aggregated.
> Having said that, if you don't want to add those lists under any particular
> category, I suggest they can be added inside a section called "General",
> which would appear as a fictional project.
[...]

This sounds like a fine approach for us. OpenStack's subprojects
share mailing lists with each other, so activity on a mailing list
doesn't necessarily map back to any one specific subproject.

> Answering this part of your last message, Bitergia Analytics Platform
> includes an identity management system that supports marking non-human
> accounts (as Bots), so you will be able to filter out this activity if
> needed.
[...]

Yes, that feature should be sufficient for our case. Thanks for the
reminder!
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [OpenInfra Foundation] Initial setup of OpenStack's Community Metrics Dashboard with Bitergia [ In reply to ]
Update: OpenStack Dashboard finished collecting data and is ready for
review: https://openstack.biterg.io/

The next step will be specifying the affiliation synchronization between
the dashboard and OpenInfra.ID.

Is anyone at All Things Open this week? Miguel Angel and Emilio are there
at our booth on the 4th floor, between Ballrooms B and C. Stop by, say hi,
and chat with them.

Best,
Georg