Mailing List Archive

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality
Thank you Allison, this looks great. Glad to see this moving forward.

Sean

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
Hi:

It looks good, but as I was going through it, I noticed that it still
listed Lauren Sell as a foundation contact for code of conduct
reports. Perhaps we can slip in a replacement at the same time?

Thanks,
MOhammed

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 1:32 PM Sean McGinnis <sean.mcginnis@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Allison, this looks great. Glad to see this moving forward.
>
> Sean
>
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 12:16 PM Allison Randal <allison@lohutok.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> In the March OIF board meeting, the Diversity & Inclusion working group
>> proposed some minor changes to the bylaws to use more gender-neutral
>> language. We've completed legal review on the changes, so we're ready
>> for broader community review and feedback now, and then will plan for
>> the OIF board to vote on the changes in the next board meeting in December.
>>
>> I've attached a PDF with a redline markup of the changes, all comments
>> are welcome. The changes are relatively simple:
>>
>> a) "Chairman" changes to "Chair" throughout the document.
>>
>> b) Consistently uses they/their as the gender-neutral 3rd person
>> singular pronoun. This replaces all instances of he/his, and all cases
>> where we previously had incomplete gender neutrality with "his or hers",
>> "he or she", and other variations that explicitly listed two genders.
>>
>> While this use of they/their as 3rd person singular isn't universal, it
>> is very common in modern usage. And, the bylaws already have an explicit
>> statement that any pronouns should be read as singular/plural as needed:
>> "6.7 _Pronouns._ All pronouns used in these Bylaws shall be deemed to
>> refer to the masculine, feminine or neuter, singular or plural, as the
>> identity of the person or persons may require."
>>

>> The updates change a few words in protected sections of the bylaws, so
>> after the board vote, we'll need independent votes from the OpenStack
>> Technical Committee and Platinum Members, and will include these changes
>> in the annual Gold Member and Individual Member votes (for Gold and
>> Individual Directors). So, it'll probably be mid- to late-January before
>> the changes are fully reviewed and approved.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Allison

Mohammed Naser
VEXXHOST, Inc.

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
Wow. Good catch. Guess it's awesome we've not had any since 2019. :-)

*Robert Cathey*
Cathey.co <http://cathey.co/>
+1 865-386-6118
@robertcathey <http://www.twitter.com/robertcathey>
Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
The Code of Conduct should list Jonathan Bryce and myself as the points of contact.

@Allison - can you make that update? Happy to help provide any info that is needed.

Thanks!
Allison

Allison Price
Director of Marketing & Community
OpenInfra Foundation
p: +1-214-686-6821

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
The code of conduct contact actually has already been updated on the
website version of the bylaws:

https://openinfra.dev/legal/code-of-conduct

It just didn't make it into the LibreOffice/Word format document. I ran
'wdiff' on the main bylaws text to catch any inconsistencies (and found,
for example, that the website version didn't apply the bylaws changes
for Vice Chairs late last year), but I didn't run it on the appendices,
so I'll make sure to do that before we get to the board vote.

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
Could we have a generic page which all the various references could post to which, initially, would contain Jonathan/Alison ?

This would save having to update all the documents each time there is a change.

Initial contents could be

"If you believe that the OpenInfra Code of Conduct is being violated, you are being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the Foundation staff immediately via phone or email.
The Foundation staff (“Staff”) who manage these issues have the following contact information:

Jonathan Bryce, jonathan@openinfra.dev <mailto:jonathan@openinfra.dev>, cell # +1-210-317-2438
Allison Price, allison@openinfra.dev <mailto:allison@openinfra.dev>, cell # +1-214-686-6821”
Tim

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
Good catch Mohammed and I like Tim’s idea of referring to something outside the Bylaws so it would not require a change if the contacts changed.

Amt

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
Here's an updated redline PDF that drops appendix 6 (where the code of
contact contacts were listed), since there weren't any language changes
to review in that appendix anyway.

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
I second Sean's response.  Looks good other than the other concern
mentioned on the list.

Thanks!

Jay

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
I can totally see the logic in the suggestion. But, unfortunately I
don't think there's any way to avoid the fact that the website is the
best format for public viewing of the legal documents, while
LibreOffice/Word is the best format for legal/community review and
voting on changes.

Diff tools at least make it straightforward to compare the two formats
and make sure we keep them in sync. (The real magic would be keeping a
master copy in markdown or some other general markup language, and
generating HTML/ODF/PDF from the master, but that's almost certainly
overkill.)

Re: [Foundation Board] OIF bylaws text changes for gender neutrality [ In reply to ]
As the foundation emphasising automated agile development and for multiple continuous integration projects with testing pipelines at the scale we are, I would be hopeful that we could do something dynamic with the bylaws ….

Tim