Mailing List Archive

January 26, 2021 Board meeting
Hi everyone,

The Board of Directors will meet next week for the first meeting of 2021. We have a draft agenda posted on the wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/26Jan2021BoardMeeting

I’ve attached a meeting invite if you are interested in joining. Thanks,

Jonathan
Re: January 26, 2021 Board meeting [ In reply to ]
As announced below, the Open Infrastructure Foundation Board of Directors had their first meeting of 2021 last week. The agenda[1] was posted ahead of time and opened thanking our departing Directors and welcoming new Directors.

I wanted to send a special thank you to Alan Clark who served as Chair of the OpenStack Foundation from our formation in 2012 until the end of 2020 and our transition into the Open Infrastructure Foundation. Alan helped out in so many visible and invisible ways, supporting our staff, providing great advice and guidance, educating people and inviting them into our community and projects all over the world.

The Board approved the minutes from the December 8, 2020 Board meeting and review the policies relating to Board members and Board practices.

Following this, the Board discussed the need to elect a Chair and Vice Chair for the new Board year and Allison Randal was elected to be the Chair of the Board. For the position of Vice Chairs, Daniel Becker and Arkady Kanevsky both expressed interest, and the Board discussed the process for electing multiple individuals to the role and agreed to take it up at the next meeting. Several Board members also expressed a desire to hold Chair/Vice Chair elections annually as each Board is seated. I expect that we will have some additional discussions on these topics moving forward.

Next the Board discussed a resolution to create a Silver Member Class for the Foundation. This is a topic that was discussed last year during meetings covering the transition to the Open Infrastructure Foundation. In the OpenStack Foundation, we had a corporate sponsor level that many organizations participated in over the years. As we updated the member model heading into 2021, we wanted to align more closely with the generally accepted foundation membership models and create a non-voting Silver Member class to replace the corporate sponsor program. After discussion, the Board voted unanimously to create the Silver Member program and transition prior corporate sponsors into the new program.

As the final topic for the meeting, the Board reviewed standing committees passing several resolutions to appoint committee members and chairs.

Now that we have a new chair, we will work with Allison to finalize a schedule of meetings for the remainder of the year. Through the year, we will also be transitioning some of the Board communication channels to use the OpenInfra-oriented brands as we continue to finish our work to officially become the Open Infrastructure Foundation.

Thanks to everyone who joined,

Jonathan

1. https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/Foundation/26Jan2021BoardMeeting