Mailing List Archive

Hello,
Dear Everyone,

While being one of the OpenStack longtimers, I'm quite new to the
governance aspects of the projects and since I was nominated for BoD, I
thought that it actually might be a good idea to explain the rationale
behind that decision.

During the past decade, I have been Instilling the whole concept of open
infrastructures with the highest government and corporate levels in Europe,
including Telcos, Banks, Research institutes, federation (Such as GAIA-X),
and large corporations, I learned while companies have a generally positive
outlook when it comes to opensource infrastructures, training,
interoperability and especially stability is always a major concern.

It's my belief that there is a certain vertical that is missing on many
large scale opensource projects, and that is the ability to work with and
stay interoperable with enterprise/carrier-grade company requirements. this
does not mean that any of our core values in terms of openness should
change but in fact, embraced!
I also learned that there is always a certain resistance to run open
infrastructures on missing-critical systems, this is a matter of training,
support, and reliability they don't expect to receive from the ecosystem,
and not everyone is as brave as CERN.

The following are what I think the focus should be on, and I can certainly
help with regardless of election outcome:

- Making open infrastructure more appealing to large scale companies,
through doubling down on stability and interoperability, LTS, etc.
- Establishing a better relationship with large consulting companies
(specially big4) in order to create a better understanding of Open
Infrastructure.
- Focus on large-scale/carrier-grade infrastructures, better training,
making a reliable open infrastructure a reality.
- Focus on Migrations, there should be projects dedicated to migration
from proprietary infrastructure to and from OpenStack, there are
third-party tools but I think it's important to have one under the project
itself.

Thank you all, and best wishes for the new year. :)
---
Armin ranjbar