- #openstack-diversity -> #oif-diversity
- #openstack-board -> #oif-board
- #openstack-foundation -> #oif
- #openinfra-summit -> #oif-summit

Look forward to everyone's thoughts!

-Kendall (diablo_rojo)

[0]
https://docs.opendev.org/opendev/system-config/latest/irc.html#renaming-an-irc-channel
Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/2020 4:20 PM, Kendall Nelson wrote:
> Hello!
>
> So now that the OpenStack Foundation is now the Open Infrastructure
> Foundation, I think it time to take a look at some of the IRC channels
> we use. There are a few that come to mind that are used by the larger
> Foundation community- not just OpenStack anymore- that should probably
> be renamed[0].
>
> Below is a list of the channels that come to mind and proposed new
> channel names. Please add to the list or suggest alternative names if
> you hate what I've come up with. My goal is to process these renames
> by the end of the year.
>
> - #openstack-ptg  -> #oif-ptg
> - #openstack-forum -> #oif-forum
> - #openstack-diversity -> #oif-diversity
> - #openstack-board -> #oif-board
> - #openstack-foundation -> #oif
> - #openinfra-summit -> #oif-summit

Kendall,

Thanks for proposing these.

I think standardizing around 'oif' makes sense.  It is a little terse,
but can't come up with another combination that doesn't result in
something unwieldy.

Jay

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
Dell Customer Communication - Confidential

Agree.
Suggest to add #oif-interop.
Wonder if #oif that replaces foundation is good. Feels that you want to add another word.
Like general.

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
On 2020-12-15 16:36:55 +0000 (+0000), Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
[...]
> Wonder if #oif that replaces foundation is good. Feels that you
> want to add another word. Like general.
[...]

The way channel namespace authority works in Freenode is that they
want to see that namespace as a registered channel, so we need a
#oif channel regardless. If we don't use if for general OIF
discussions, then people are still likely to wander into it from
time to time and ask questions. It's really a question of whether we
have #oif *and* #oif-general (and people remain confused on which
one should be used for general OIF discussion), or just #oif.

You'll note that for the #openstack channel serves this same purpose
for the OpenStack community's channel namespace on Freenode, and
gets used primarily for general user questions.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
My $0.02 over lunch: I think #openinfra-* would be a fitting move with the
same number of digits and a recognizable moniker.
Cheers,
Ryan

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
On 2020-12-15 12:20:58 -0600 (-0600), Ryan Beisner wrote:
> My $0.02 over lunch: I think #openinfra-* would be a fitting move
> with the same number of digits and a recognizable moniker.
[...]

The blocker there is that we can't control the #openinfra-*
namespace on Freenode because the #openinfra channel is already
taken by the separate https://opensourceinfra.org/ community.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
Kendall and Jeremy,

I'm good with the suggested name changes especially with that added
information the openinfra isn't available. We should definitely keep it
short so don't feel going to openinfratructure is a good alternative even
if it is more obvious. I do think the more we use OIF vs OSF it'll be more
natural for people to look for it.

Thanks,

Amy (spotz)

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
One logistical item to point out. We have been advised to minimize our use of “OIF” to reduce confusion with another organization that has a trademark on “OIF”. While we won’t be able to prevent everyone from using the acronym to reference the foundation, much like OSF was used, we have been advised to not use it in “attention getting” places.

We have started to replace the acronym with “OpenInfra Foundation” and “OpenInfra” depending on the use case. Another option to consider that we’re using for twitter handle, url, and similar spots is “OpenInfraDev”.

Thanks,
Wes

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
On 2020-12-15 11:21:55 -0800 (-0800), Wes Wilson wrote:
> One logistical item to point out. We have been advised to minimize
> our use of “OIF” to reduce confusion with another organization
> that has a trademark on “OIF”.

Presumably that's this organization:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Internetworking_Forum

> While we won’t be able to prevent everyone from using the acronym
> to reference the foundation, much like OSF was used, we have been
> advised to not use it in “attention getting” places.
[...]

Right, so #oif and #oif-* channels seem to be out of the question.
I'm temporarily squatting #infra if folks think that could make a
good (short, not trademarkable) namespace for the foundation
channels.
--
Jeremy Stanley
Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
Ohh what about opninfra?:)

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
Dell Customer Communication - Confidential

What about #openinfra?

Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
On 2020-12-15 22:07:43 +0000 (+0000), Kanevsky, Arkady wrote:
> What about #openinfra?
[...]

Excepted from another of my earlier replies (5 messages upthread),
Re: [all] IRC Channel Renames [ In reply to ]
Dell Customer Communication - Confidential

Thanks Jeremy.
#infraopen?