Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
On 11/09/2013 07:09 PM, Martinx - ジェームズ wrote:
> Guys,
>
> This problem is kind of a "deal breaker"... I was counting on OpenStack
> Havana (and with Ubuntu) for my first public cloud that I'm (was) about
> to announce / launch but, this problem changed everything.
>
> I can not put Havana with Ubuntu LTS into production because of this
> network issue. This is a very serious problem for me... Since all sites,
> or even ssh connections, that pass through the "Floating IPs" entering
> into the tenant's subnets, are very slow and, all the connections
> freezes for seconds, every minute.
>
> Again, I'm seeing that there is no way to put Havana into production
> (using Per-Tenant Routers with Private Networks), _because the Network
> Node is broken_. At least when with Ubuntu... I'll try it with Debian 7,
> or CentOS (I don't like it), just to see if the problem persist but, I
> prefer Ubuntu distro since Warty Warthog... :-/
>
> So, what is being done to fix it? I already tried everything I could,
> without any kind of success...
>
> Also, I followed this doc (to triple * triple re-check my env):
> http://docs.openstack.org/havana/install-guide/install/apt/content/section_networking-routers-with-private-networks.html but,
> it does not work as expected.

I'd just like to point out that it is indeed possible to achieve good
network performance (bi-directional) with Ubuntu 12.04, OVS 1.11, and
OpenStack Grizzly with Neutron and GRE tunnels. We've deployed two zones
with it and after upgrading to OVS 1.11, we are seeing pretty good
performance.

We use the OpenStack Chef cookbooks to configure Neutron:

https://github.com/stackforge/cookbook-openstack-network

You may want to go through the above cookbook and check the default
settings that are in the attributes and written to the configuration
file templates.

I don't know of anything that changed between Grizzly and Havana that
would have had an impact on network performance, but perhaps someone
from the Neutron dev community could chime in here and write if there's
been anything added in the Havana timeframe that may affect network
performance...

Best,
-jay

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Hi Jay!

Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at those cookbooks but, I already
tried Havana (Cloud Archive) with OVS 1.11.0, same poor results.

Also, my previous region based on Grizzly / Quantum / GRE, worked perfectly
for months (except with MTU = 1400) and, Havana is somehow different.

Thanks!
Thiago

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
On 11/10/2013 01:35 PM, Martinx - $B%8%'!<%`%:(B wrote:
> Hi Jay!
>
> Thank you! I'll definitely take a look at those cookbooks but, I already
> tried Havana (Cloud Archive) with OVS 1.11.0, same poor results.
>
> Also, my previous region based on Grizzly / Quantum / GRE, worked
> perfectly for months (except with MTU = 1400) and, Havana is somehow
> different.

Interesting. Well, we're just beginning the process of our Havana
deployment testing and changes, so we'll certainly be double-checking
performance based on the above feedback.

Best,
-jay

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Cool! Let me know what do you'll need.

I'll make a tenant / project / user for you here at my cloud and I can give
you root access to the network node (or any openstack node).

Let me know if it is enough for you to debug / test it.

Cheers!
Thiago

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
I suddenly have the identical situation occurring here - of note I am
using grizzly and there have been two changes to the environment that have
seemingly caused this : upgrade of OVS to 1.11 and upgrade of quantum-*
from 2013.1.2 to 2013.1.3

I haven$B!G(Bt tried the default 1.04 from 12.04 and I can$B!G(Bt as this is a prod
system.

However if the openstack update is causing it then here is the place to
start I suspect : https://launchpad.net/neutron/grizzly/2013.1.3

Performance of 1.04 in my env makes that unusable.

--
Geraint Jones

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
At least one guy from Rackspace is aware of this problem, thanks Anne and
James Denton! ^_^

Hope to talk with James Page on IRC tomorrow, today was too complicated for
me... More experts coming!

I have a good environment for you guys to test and debug this in deep, if
desired.

BTW, hey Ubuntu guys! Please, release the ML2 plugin! ASAP!! I would love
to try it! =D

Best,
Thiago

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Guys,

Can I fill a BUG about this issue?! If yes, where?! Neutron Launchpad page?

Tks,
Thiago

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Yup :)

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Okay!

BUG filled: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1252900

Regards,
Thiago

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Hi Thiago,

I updated your bug report with my own tests and I don't experience your
performance issues.

George

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Martinx - $B%8%'!<%`%:(B

Re: Directional network performance issues with Neutron + OpenvSwitch [ In reply to ]
Hi Geroge,

I'll double * tripple check everything and I'll make more performance tests
using different tools (iperf already used).

Thanks!
Thiago