to register every user of the service before, I want that everybody can
build up this tunnel.

I know it would be better to use other solutions like i.e. https or
something, but because of some internal circumstances I want/have to use
ssh.

regards

stephan knabe

mailto: sknabe@gmx.de
Re: Anonymous tunneling via ssh [ In reply to ]
Re: Anonymous tunneling via ssh [ In reply to ]
then create a single known username with a public or no passwd.

-m

Re: Anonymous tunneling via ssh [ In reply to ]
You can set up a tunnel by running ssh + pppd. So the basic idea is you
use ssh to logon remotely to a user 'vpn' who has pppd as his shell. On
the client side you redirect ssh to a tty device and run pppd. Then make
a routing entry for the ppp interface as appropriate. You can find out
all the basic details in http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VPN-HOWTO/index.html.

Hope this is what you had in mind and good luck...

Re: Anonymous tunneling via ssh [ In reply to ]
Hi, I am so far ssh only for encryption. Are there well supported alternative
encrypted tunnels that Stephan could use ?? My interest is in encrypting the
network block device in the Linux kernel.

John, Linux Society

--- Markus Friedl <markus@openbsd.org> wrote:
> then create a single known username with a public or no passwd.
>
> -m
>
> On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 09:04:06AM +0200, Stephan Knabe wrote:
> > Can I use ssh to build an anonymous encrypted tunnel for protocols like
> > http ?
> >
> > At the moment I only can build up a tunnel using an account on the
> > remote machine (i.e. ssh foo@bar -L 12345:foo@bar:80). But I do not want
> > to register every user of the service before, I want that everybody can
> > build up this tunnel.
> >
> > I know it would be better to use other solutions like i.e. https or
> > something, but because of some internal circumstances I want/have to use
> > ssh.
> >
> > regards
> >
> > stephan knabe
> >

> > mailto: sknabe@gmx.de