Mailing List Archive

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Reminder: Add ssh_config equivalents of -N, -n and -f
Hi,

Of the choices enumerated by Damien, SessionType seems the most useful. I assume there should be a third value to designate a normal interactive session. Although, I'm dubious about the ovbious choice of "interactive."

--
Iain Morgan

?On 6/8/21, 03:37, "openssh-unix-dev on behalf of Volker Diels-Grabsch" <openssh-unix-dev-bounces+iain.morgan=nasa.gov@mindrot.org on behalf of v@njh.eu> wrote:

Dear Damien,

Thanks for your response!

Damien Miller wrote:
> I'm not sure about the naming of NoShell, because it's really about not
> starting any kind of remote session.

I didn't really care about how to name this. All I did was noting
that the flag is stored in a C variable "no_shell", which I just
translated to camel case.

So I assume that we should rename that C variable as well?

> So the options are to rename the option to something like NoSession,
> find a way to reuse the existing RemoteCommand option (though that is
> IMO a little ugly) or perhaps introduce a new "SessionType" option
> that can subsume functionality of both the -N (SessionType=none) and
> -s (SessionType=subsystem) flags.
>
> What do you think?

I also don't think that reusing RemoteCommand is a good idea. This
would add unnecessary entaglement of mostly-unrelated options, and as
such increase the risk of accidentally introducing bugs.

I'd prefer to rename NoShell to NoSession, and perhaps to do the same
for the internal variable names for consistency. Then, we would have
a one-to-one match of command line and configuration file, which is
IMHO the least surprise for users already familiar with "-N" and "-s".

However, I'm not opposed to introduce "SessionType=none/subsystem", in
case you like me to implement it that way.

How should we proceed from here? Which variant should I implement?

Best regards,
Volker

--
Volker Diels-Grabsch
----<<<((()))>>>----

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Reminder: Add ssh_config equivalents of -N, -n and -f [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Morgan, Iain (ARC-TN)[InuTeq, LLC] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Of the choices enumerated by Damien, SessionType seems the most
> useful. I assume there should be a third value to designate a normal
> interactive session. Although, I'm dubious about the ovbious choice of
> "interactive."

I was thinking "default" - not very imaginative, I know...

-d
Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Reminder: Add ssh_config equivalents of -N, -n and -f [ In reply to ]
Yeah, I had considered "default" as well. I was hoping for something more descriptive and more in keeping with the general style of option values. But, I don't have any better suggestion.

--
Iain Morgan

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Reminder: Add ssh_config equivalents of -N, -n and -f [ In reply to ]
On 09.06.21 00:15, Damien Miller wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2021, Morgan, Iain (ARC-TN)[InuTeq, LLC] wrote:
>> Of the choices enumerated by Damien, SessionType seems the most
>> useful. I assume there should be a third value to designate a normal
>> interactive session. Although, I'm dubious about the ovbious choice of
>> "interactive."
>
> I was thinking "default" - not very imaginative, I know...

"The default" in a particular use case needn't be an interactive shell,
nor an interactive *anything*. OpenSSH has at least two options already
that accept "auto" as a value ...

Kind regards,
--
Jochen Bern