Mailing List Archive

sftp Carriage Return (^M) issue query
Hi,

I'm looking for some guidance/explanation on an issue we are facing.

We have migrated from RHEL 5.11 to RHEL 7.6 servers VMs (details of OpenSSH and SFTP version below)

On the new (RHEL 7.6) server we are seeing ^M (Windows Carriage Return) characters appearing at the end of records of files transferred to new server.? This does not happen on the old server and we are using exactly the same file transfer, exactly the same files etc. just repointing from one server to the other.

I've trawled internet but I can find no explanation.

Is the difference in OpenSSH version the reason for this happening?

RHEL 5.11
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.3
SFTP protocol version 3

RHEL 7.6
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.4
SFTP protocol version 3

Thanks
Fraser

M&G plc - Restricted
This email is confidential and should not be used by anyone who is not the original intended recipient. M&G; cannot accept liability for statements made which are clearly the sender's own and not made on behalf of the Prudential. In addition, no statement should be construed as giving investment advice within or outside the United Kingdom.

M&G; plc, incorporated and registered in England and Wales.Registered Office at 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London EC3M 5AG. Registered number 11444019. M&G; plc is a holding company, some of whose subsidiaries are authorised and regulated, as applicable, by the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Financial Conduct Authority.

'Prudential' is a trading name of The Prudential Assurance Company Limited, which is incorporated and registered in England and Wales. Registered Office at 10 Fenchurch Avenue, London EC3M 5AG. Registered number 15454. Authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. 'Prudential' is also used by other companies within the M&G; plc Group, which between them provide a range of financial products including life assurance, pensions, savings and investment products.

'Prudential' is also a trading name of Prudential Distribution Limited, which is incorporated and registered in Scotland. Registered Office at Craigforth, Stirling, FK9 4UE. Registered number SC212640. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Prudential Distribution Limited is part of the same corporate group as the Prudential Assurance Company. The Prudential Assurance Company and Prudential Distribution Limited are direct/indirect subsidiaries of M&G; plc, a company incorporated in the United Kingdom. These companies are not affiliated in any manner with Prudential Financial, Inc, a company whose principal place of business is in the United States of America or Prudential plc, an international group incorporated in the United Kingdom

An email reply to this address may be subject to interception or monitoring for operational reasons or for lawful business practice

Re: sftp Carriage Return (^M) issue query [ In reply to ]
On 30/9/20 8:47 pm, Adair, Fraser wrote:
> We have migrated from RHEL 5.11 to RHEL 7.6 servers VMs (details of OpenSSH and SFTP version below)
>
> On the new (RHEL 7.6) server we are seeing ^M (Windows Carriage Return) characters appearing at the end of records of files transferred to new server.  This does not happen on the old server and we are using exactly the same file transfer, exactly the same files etc. just repointing from one server to the other.

As a guess, this sounds like you're transferring files by capturing
output on an interactive session:

$ ssh -t user@example.com cat datafile > local.datafile
user@example.com's password:
Connection to example.com closed.
$ grep -q '^M' local.datafile && echo CR seen
CR seen

Interactive sessions are subject to termcap/terminfo (although,
obviously, not an issue for cat) and stty (e.g. stty onlcr).

I expect onlcr is commonly set as NL normally just moves the cursor down
one line without moving it to the left of the screen; and CR normally
just moves it to the left of the screen without advancing one line.