Mailing List Archive

OpenSSH not requesting PIN code for YubiKey
I set up the YubiKey with OpenSSH 8.2 (Ubuntu client and server) and it
works. However, it does not do PIN enforcement at SSH login. It only
requests the PIN during the set-up process (when the key is being
generated). Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Frank
Re: OpenSSH not requesting PIN code for YubiKey [ In reply to ]
You did not says what method you are using.
https://developers.yubico.com/SSH/
lists 4 different ways to use the Yubikey: PIV, PGP, FIDO U2F and OTP.

In PIV section:
https://developers.yubico.com/PIV/Guides/SSH_user_certificates.html
It says:
"If you have followed these steps to the letter, you will not be asked
for the PIV PIN, but your YubiKey will start blinking, waiting for touch."
Note the "--pin-policy=never --touch-policy=always"

Douglas E. Engert <DEEngert@gmail.com>

Re: OpenSSH not requesting PIN code for YubiKey [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 10 Jul 2020, Frank Sharkey wrote:

> I set up the YubiKey with OpenSSH 8.2 (Ubuntu client and server) and it
> works. However, it does not do PIN enforcement at SSH login. It only
> requests the PIN during the set-up process (when the key is being
> generated). Is that the way it's supposed to work?

Assuming you are using this device as a FIDO token (and not PKCS#11),
this is expected. OpenSSH doesn't yet support requiring PINs for keys
except for a couple of corner cases (e.g. resident keys).

I hope to add this before OpenSSH 8.4.

-d