I would appreciate some clarification.

Thanks,
Roee.
Re: openSSH versions [ In reply to ]
Hi Roee,

Roee writes:

> That the versions always have a <number> and a <number>p1.

Yes. Use the <number> version if you are on an OpenBSD, NetBSD, or
FreeBSD system.

Use the <number>p1 version if you are on any other operating system.

> Does the p1 indicate a patch?

No.

> So does it mean that <number> and <number>p1 are two different versions?

Yes, but only because the <number>p1 will work on non-OpenBSD systems.

The <number>p1 uses the GNU autoconf and GNU automake mechanisms to
allow the users to configure the OpenSSH package in a way that will work
with their current operating system.

You may choose to use <number>p1 releases on NetBSD or FreeBSD, but I
would recommend NOT using it on OpenBSD where the <number> is primarily
targeted to run.

> It doesn't describe the differences between the two in case they are
> different versions.

No protocol or functional differences should exist modulo the
capabilities of the operating system you are using with it.

Try using './configure --help' to see the range of options available.

> I would appreciate some clarification.

Normally, if there is a bug in OpenSSH it will impact both BSD and
portable versions. This will bump the x.y release number.

However, if there is a bug in OpenSSH portable only which arises for
a particular subset of operating systems, then a <number>p2 release may
be made.

I hope this helps your understanding.

Enjoy!
-- Mark
Re: openSSH versions [ In reply to ]
It helps a lot! Thanks very much!

Roee.

?On 11/6/18, 1:19 PM, "mdb@juniper.net on behalf of Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@juniper.net> wrote:

Hi Roee,

Re: openSSH versions [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 10:19:05AM -0800, Mark D. Baushke wrote:
> Roee writes:
> > That the versions always have a <number> and a <number>p1.
>
> Yes. Use the <number> version if you are on an OpenBSD, NetBSD, or
> FreeBSD system.
>
> Use the <number>p1 version if you are on any other operating system.

This is documented here, incidentally:

https://www.openssh.com/portable.html

--
Colin Watson [cjwatson@debian.org]