Mailing List Archive

status of Solaris build
Howdy,

Well, I finally made it through a complete build of OpenSSH on Solaris
7/x86. I've included a few notes below. Most of them are either simple
enough or too complex (i.e. I'm not sure how to do it without breaking
other platforms) to generate patches for here.

1) _PATH_DEVNULL, _PATH_UTMP and _PATH_WTMP aren't defined anywhere,
since Solaris doesn't appear to have a paths.h include. When the
compile bailed, I dropped in a literal string and reran the make.

1a) There are some conflicting declarations of __progname in the
application *.c files (sshd.c, ssh-add.c, etc.). If __progname
wasn't found, these files declare it as a const char *. Later
in code blocks, it is redeclared as an extern char *. C compilers
won't like this. I simply commented out the conflicting declarations
further down in the code and reran the make.

2) The Makefile.in (and consequently the generated Makefile) assume a
BSD-style install program. Unfortunately, Solaris's bundled install
will not play nice with the install portion of the Makefile, and
there's no easy way to make it work with both, since arguments on
Solaris install have to be processed in a specific order, and Solaris
install also uses "-s" to indicate silence on an install rather than
stripping the binaries.

I decided at this point to simply do some serious Makefile hacking
to get `make install' to run without heed for Makefile.in.

I've seen packages that have included a "bsdinstall" command. That
may be necessary here.

Now, the adventure will be in RUNNING the daemon to see what happens. :)

Tally ho,

csaia@wtower.com, WTnet IRC Administrator - http://www.wtower.com/~csaia/
GNU Privacy Guard Public Key information is available at the above URL.