[ intact ] Corporation financi?re
T?l?phone : (866) 440-8300 x61257

Robert.Racioppoli@intact.net
Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,

Yes, nProbe can be on the receiving end of an alternative Flow Collector - provided that the alternative Flow Collector is exporting NetFlow v5/v9/IPFIX/sFlow or any other format which is interoperable with them.

Regards,
Simone

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Hi Simone,

Are there special settings/commands required on NTOPNG or nProbe to allow this to happen ? To better explain our current setup,, the communication between the proxy Flow Collector (10.177.45.18) and nProbe is established and can be seen in NTOPNG (see item #1 ). The issue is that the actual Flow record information or if you prefer the Flow dataset does not appear in NTOPNG.

No individual router conversation flow can be seen.

Grazie mille.

Robert

Item #1

[cid:image001.png@01D644C3.F33F6D20]

Here is a small sample of the expected flows as seen by another solution.

[cid:image003.jpg@01D644C6.586E10F0]

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert
are you asking if nProbe supports

<non-nProbe NetFlow probe> ---->>>>> nProbe (proxy with template modification) ——>>>>> netFlow collector

this scenario?

The answer is yes

Regards Luca

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Ciao Luca,

Actually my scenario is more like this.

Cisco L3 Device ——>>>>>netFlow collector (acting as a proxy/forwarder) ——>>>>> nProbe——>>>>>NTOPNG

Robert

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,

From the picture enclosed, it seems you are using ntopng to capture from a physical interface -- ens192.

As you've said your scenario is:

Cisco L3 Device ——>>>>>netFlow collector (acting as a proxy/forwarder) ——>>>>> nProbe——>>>>>NTOPNG

So you have to connect ntopng and nprobe together via ZMQ to see the actual content of flow records. See https://www.ntop.org/guides/ntopng/using_with_other_tools/nprobe.html <https://www.ntop.org/guides/ntopng/using_with_other_tools/nprobe.html>

In particular, you have to use option --collector-port to tell nProbe on which port the netflow arrives.

Regards,

Simone

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,

From the picture enclosed, it seems you are using ntopng to capture from a physical interface -- ens192.

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Ciao Simone,

I can now see the actual flows. Thank You. It works great, but not for very long. There seems to be a limitation on the total maximum flows permitted by the temp license.

As you can see in the log messages below nProbe reaches its upper flow limit within the first minute. This makes the product evaluation impossible.

Can you provide a licence with unlimited flow capability ?

Your assistance in this matter is truly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Robert

18/Jun/2020 11:28:26 [nprobe.c:10361] nProbe started successfully
18/Jun/2020 11:29:23 [export.c:587] ERROR: ***************************************************************************
18/Jun/2020 11:29:23 [export.c:588] ERROR: * NOTE: You have reached the max demo 25000 flows export: no more exports *
18/Jun/2020 11:29:23 [export.c:590] ERROR: * NOTE: no additional flows will be exported by this nProbe instance *
^C18/Jun/2020 11:36:03 [nprobe.c:573] Received shutdown request... [signal: 2]
18/Jun/2020 11:36:04 [nprobe.c:6924] Flushing active flows

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,

I'm glad to see that it's working. To request evaluation licenses please contact Maria using address mallegro at ntop dot org.

Regards,

Simone

Re: nProbe modes [ In reply to ]
Robert,