Mailing List Archive

Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch
Dear all,

I have installed NTopNG 3.8.200120 - Enterprise Edition on Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS

And It seems there is error as the flow display information between same machine and seems to invert Client/Server.

[cid:image003.png@01D5D114.A313C2B0]

Thx & Rgds,
Christophe.
Re: Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch [ In reply to ]
Please,

Explain how to reproduce and how you are delivering traffic to ntopng. It could be that the first SYN packet of the flow hasn't been seen - indeed, I don't see any SYN in the server -> client TCP flags - so ntopng has been tricked into thinking the server (who actually responded with a SYN+ACK) is the client.

This happens because a new flow gets it client and server assigned depending on the first seen packet.

Simone

Re: Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch [ In reply to ]
Please,

Re: Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch [ In reply to ]
Dear,

Thanks for the reply.
The traffic is delivered to NtopNg with WAN port mirroring.
But what I do not understand is why is the NopNG web interface, in the flow, the link to the server is the real IP address of the client, and the link is server name !

Is there some debug/trace level that I could activated.

Thanks.
Christophe.

Re: Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch [ In reply to ]
Thanks for pointing this out,

The highlighted flow is TLS. For TLS flows, to improve the readability of the peers, the server name is set to be the requested certificate Common Name (CN). Indeed, you can check that the CN shown after the "Client Requested:" equals the name chosen for the server.

The point that name shown in the breakdown is different from the name shown in the Flow Peers is a bug, and I've committed a fix for this. A new build 3.9 is in progress and ready in less than one hour.

Regards,

Re: Client/Server hostname/IP Mismatch [ In reply to ]