an a PFsense, nProbe on a Raspberry and ntopng on a Debian 9 VM. I do
not get sufficiant data (only peaks of 20 to 200 Mbit/s and no stream of
traffic).

A ntopng on the PFsense is not working properly so I would like to try
this way.

Am I missing some options to calibrate the information? I left pretty
much all of it alone.

Matthias

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

Please, show the nProbe and ntopng configurations used. Reported behavior can be normal as softflowd flow reports are periodic (eg. every minute) so it's normal if you see spiky traffic.

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Hi Matt,

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Hi!

The configuration is quite minimalistic:

ntopng:

-G=/var/run/ntopng.pid
-i="tcp://192.168.224.10:5556"
-m="10.123.123.0/24,192.168.224.0/24"
--community

nprobe:

-G=/var/run/nprobe.pid
-i=none
-n=none
-3=6363
--zmq="tcp://*:5556"

For example I want to see the bandwith used by Netflix or IPTV or
something like that.

Matthias

Unser Familien-Blog: https://brumm.family

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Everything seems OK.

You only have to keep in mind that when working with softflowd:
- flows are delayed and the traffic will look bursty as it is reported periodically
- you can't perform deep packet inspection as neither nProbe nor ntopng have access to the physical packets. This means that traffic detection will be less accurate.

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Everything seems OK.

Re: ntopng + nProbe and softflowd [ In reply to ]
Hi!

Thanks for the help. I think I will go after ntopng on the PFsense,
which is giving me pretty much everything I want, but is reporting
significant less traffic. But that could be a problem of PFsense.

Matthias