My understanding is that Ntopng Edge does not currently let you prioritise
traffic based on VLANs - but only by users.

Users must be assigned manually via MAC address, or via them logging in via
the captive portal.

However, is there any way to apply prioritisation based on say, IP subnets?
Or any other fields? (CoS, DSCP etc.)?

Regards,
Victor
Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]
Victor,

You can apply policies to IP addresses as well as IP subnets. Just create a new user, click 'edit', and then select tab 'Members'. You can specify IP addresses (both v4 and v4), valid subnets (e.g., 192.168.2.0/24) and MAC addresses.

MAC addresses have priority over IP addresses. That is, if you have have an host AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF with IP 1.2.3.4, and you have created two users that match the MAC and the IP address respectively, the user who will match the host is the one of the MAC address.

Simone

Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]
Victor,

Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]
Hi Simone,

Aha - ok, so it sounds like this might be a workaround for us.

Each VLAN will have separate IP subnets, and we can look at applying
policies based on those.

I'll have to get it setup on a test system and play around with it - I
assume we can mix/match IP subnet priority, as well as Layer-7 application
type priority?

(e.g. VLAN 1 web browsing will be prioritised over VLAN 2 web browsing
etc.).

Regards,
Victor

Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]
Hi Simone,

Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Aug 2018, at 09:32, Victor Hooi <victorhooi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Simone,
>
> Aha - ok, so it sounds like this might be a workaround for us.

OK

> Each VLAN will have separate IP subnets, and we can look at applying policies based on those.
>
> I'll have to get it setup on a test system and play around with it - I assume we can mix/match IP subnet priority, as well as Layer-7 application type priority?
>
> (e.g. VLAN 1 web browsing will be prioritised over VLAN 2 web browsing etc.).

As you've separate IP subnets you'll be able to prioritize each VLAN independently

Simone

Re: Ntopng Edge - Can you prioritise traffic by any methods other than by user? [ In reply to ]