Mailing List Archive

Ntopng versus Ntopng Edge for historical monitoring?
Hi,

Are there any differences between Ntopng and Ntopng Edge in terms of
passive monitoring or historical traffic tracking features?

Thanks,
Victor
Re: Ntopng versus Ntopng Edge for historical monitoring? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

In general, traffic reports, dashboards, alerts are all common between
ntopng and nedge.

Here are some differences:

    - nEdge does not support remote probes (no NetFlow/sFlow/SNMP
monitoring)

    - nEdge does not monitor TCP flags

    - Currently nEdge does not split traffic by VLAN, so two hosts with
the same IP address but different VLAN will be accounted as a single host

In particular for VLAN support, we wish to know which are the people
requirements and typical use cases to improve it. So if you have any
suggestions, please give your feedback!

Regards,

Emanuele

Re: Ntopng versus Ntopng Edge for historical monitoring? [ In reply to ]
Hi,

What sort of TCP flags exactly does Ntopng normally monitor?

For us - each VLAN should have different address spaces, so I think we will
be OK with it (for now).

In our case, we have a multi-tenant office, with separate VLANs for each
tenant. We also have a separate VLAN for things like our AV (audio-visual)
equipment, another for printing devices, another for live-streaming etc.
The idea was to improve security, and also give us flexibility to
prioritise latency/bandwidth as needed.

So for example - for general office use, this would be behind say, the
live-streaming VLAN.

Regards,
Victor