Mailing List Archive

Data not persisting through service restart or reboot (MySQL setup)
Hey all,

Between last night and today, I setup nprobe and ntopng with MySQL. My
goal is to be able to look at the busiest hosts over a certain period of
time, where traffic went etc.

It was a real pain getting it going, but it's up, running, and showing me
data. The problem I'm having is that the data doesn't appear to persist
through a service restart.

I've spent hours looking in to this but I appear to have everything correct.

Server is Ubuntu 16.04 with plenty of horsepower.

My ntopng.conf (the defaults are there, just commented out):

--interface="tcp://127.0.0.1:1234"
--http-port=3000
--local-networks
--community
-F "mysql;localhost;ntopng;ntopng;ntopng;mysqlpassword"

My nprobe.conf:

-i=none
-n=none
-3=2055
--zmq="tcp://127.0.0.1:1234"

By everything I can see, there is not now nor has there been an issue
connecting to MySQL, I can get in via the creds above on command line.

One weird thing that might be the culprit is when I go in to MySQL and I do
a `SELECT * from flowsv4`, I get an obscene amount of gibberish output with
what seems like useful numbers. Is my table corrupt somehow? Any other
ideas you all might have as to why I can't retain data?
Re: Data not persisting through service restart or reboot (MySQL setup) [ In reply to ]
Matt,

According to your description the `gibberish output` should be compressed flow data so it looks like flows go into mysql. Can you please be more specific on what you mean with data doesn't appear to persist?

Have you enabled the generation of historical timeseries from the timeseries preferences page? If your goal is only to look at the busiest hosts over a certain period of time, then you may also not need MySQL at all.

Regards,
Simone

Re: Data not persisting through service restart or reboot (MySQL setup) [ In reply to ]
Matt,