number of small files slows down daily backup noticeably. Hence two
questions:
* What do I lose if I exclude this folder from backup?
* Since I have mysql connected anyway, can this data be stored there
instead?

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili
Re: Contents of /var/tmp/ntopng/ [ In reply to ]
Hello Marat,

> On 21 Nov 2017, at 08:07, Marat Khalili <mkh@rqc.ru> wrote:
>
> Dear ntopng experts,
>
> Directory /var/tmp/ntopng/ contains 443K inodes (files and directories) on my system, significant number of which (~20K) changes daily. This number of small files slows down daily backup noticeably. Hence two questions:
> * What do I lose if I exclude this folder from backup?

You will lose historical time series

> * Since I have mysql connected anyway, can this data be stored there instead?

currently no, but we are working on a comprehensive flows+timeseries db that will be released in Q1 2018.

Re: Contents of /var/tmp/ntopng/ [ In reply to ]
Marat
please note that in ntop 3.1 the number of files has been greatly
reduced and that we are working to reduce them up. If you are still
using v3 you can use 3.1 to preview this

Thanks Luca

Re: Contents of /var/tmp/ntopng/ [ In reply to ]
On 21/11/17 15:37, Luca Deri wrote:
> Marat
> please note that in ntop 3.1 the number of files has been greatly
> reduced and that we are working to reduce them up. If you are still
> using v3 you can use 3.1 to preview this

In fact I'm on a v.3.1.171102 right now. Can it be that many of the
files are just a leftover from previous versions?

--

With Best Regards,
Marat Khalili
Re: Contents of /var/tmp/ntopng/ [ In reply to ]
Yes it’s possible. You can delete the directory and start over: you will loose some history but everything will be clean

Luca

Re: Contents of /var/tmp/ntopng/ [ In reply to ]