Mailing List Archive

RPi - Stretch - Home Network
I am a newbie so please forgive me if I ask a dumb question.

I'm trying to install topng on my RPi with Stretch to monitor my home
network (Mikrotik router).

The latest build you have is 2.5 for Jessie.

The easiest thing would be to ask you to rebuild ntopng on stretch so I can
just install it, but I thought I would have a go myself!!

After many trials I think I've installed the latest version. however the
ntopng web page is not available on port 3000.

the log says
====
28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Trace.cpp:116] Logging into /var/tmp/ntopng/ntopng.log
28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Ntop.cpp:1419] Setting local networks to 127.0.0.0/8
28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Redis.cpp:111] Successfully connected to redis
127.0.0.1:6379@0
28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Redis.cpp:111] Successfully connected to redis
127.0.0.1:6379@0
28/Sep/2017 11:10:09 [Ntop.cpp:1357] Parent process is exiting (this is
normal)
28/Sep/2017 11:10:10 [NetworkDiscovery.cpp:48] ERROR: Unable to create pcap
socket [1/Operation not permitted]
28/Sep/2017 11:10:17 [main.cpp:221] ERROR: Unable to create interface eth0
28/Sep/2017 11:10:23 [main.cpp:221] ERROR: Unable to create interface lo
28/Sep/2017 11:10:23 [main.cpp:280] ERROR: Startup error: missing
super-user privileges ?
====

and when I try to install nprobe (because I think it is missing) I get

====
sudo apt-get install nprobe
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

nprobe : Depends: libzmq3 but it is not installable
Depends: libhiredis0.10 but it is not installable
====

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

Charles
Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Hi Charles
packages have been just rebuilt. You do not need nProbe. In order to start ntopng you need to be root.

Please see the ntopng user’s guide at http://www.ntop.org/support/documentation/documentation/ <http://www.ntop.org/support/documentation/documentation/>

Regards Luca

Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Hi Charles

RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Luca,

Thanks for the response. I reinstalled from the beginning.

However, I had to use Stretch not Jessie because RPI has moved on from
Jessie as its default.

I got to the last step in the instructions on
http://packages.ntop.org/RaspberryPI/ (hoping the Jessie install would
be ok)

but got the following which I think means I need a Stretch specific
build. Any chance you could do one?

Charles

root@raspberrypi:/home/pi# apt-get install ntopng nprobe
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

nprobe : Depends: libzmq3 but it is not installable
Depends: libhiredis0.10 but it is not installable
Recommends: ntopng-data but it is not going to be installed
ntopng : Depends: librrd4 but it is not installable
Depends: libzmq3 but it is not installable
Depends: libssl1.0.0 but it is not installable
Depends: libhiredis0.10 but it is not installable
Depends: libmysqlclient18 but it is not installable
Recommends: ntopng-data but it is not going to be installed

<end>

=======

*>* ====
*>* 28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Trace.cpp:116] Logging into /var/tmp/ntopng/ntopng.log
*>* 28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Ntop.cpp:1419] Setting local networks to
127.0.0.0/8 <http://127.0.0.0/8> <http://127.0.0.0/8
<http://127.0.0.0/8>>
*>* 28/Sep/2017 11:10:01 [Redis.cpp:111] Successfully connected to
redis 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1>:6379 at 0
*> >* ====
*>* sudo apt-get install nprobe
*>* Reading package lists... Done
*>* Building dependency tree
*>* Reading state information... Done
*>* Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
*>* requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
*>* distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
*>* or been moved out of Incoming.
*>* The following information may help to resolve the situation:
*> >* The following packages have unmet dependencies:
*>* nprobe : Depends: libzmq3 but it is not installable
*>* Depends: libhiredis0.10 but it is not installable
*>* E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
*>* ====
*> >* Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
*> >* Charles
*>* _______________________________________________
*>* Ntop mailing list
*>* Ntop at listgateway.unipi.it
Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Charles
perhaps a static build would help. I am not familiar with Stretch: what is it and where I can find it?

Regards Luca

Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Charles

Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Luca,

It's just the next Debian release (v9) see https://www.debian.org/releases/

On RaspberryPi, Debian is called Raspbian see
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Charles

Charles Hooper
+44 7986 841714
www.linkedin.com/in/hoopercharles/
Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
And it would be great to have an official build from you rather than me
making another mess of the make as i did last time. I would imagine other
RPi users would also be grateful.

I presume you would put it in a folder
http://packages.ntop.org/RaspberryPI/stretch_pi/

Charles

+44 7986 841714 <+44%207986%20841714>
www.linkedin.com/in/hoopercharles/
Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Charles
please open a ticket on github so we can track this

Thanks Luca

Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Luca

I've no idea how to do that but will try and find out.

Thanks

Charles

Re: RPi - Stretch - Home Network [ In reply to ]
Hi Charles
see https://github.com/ntop/ntopng/issues

Luca