I have a problem to make PF_RING work on Ubuntu 18.04.

zbalance_ipc will start OK with multiple consumer queues. Tcpdump cannot
read packets from the ZC queues > 0. Reading from queue 0 is only empty
packets with all zeros.

PF_RING libpcap/tcpdump is installed and is the only libpcap on the system.

What do you recommend I try ?

Thanks,

Hovsep
Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi Hovsep
are you able to capture from queues > 0 with pfcount?

Regards
Alfredo

Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi.

Perhaps you mean with zcount_ipc ? If so, the answer is no.

When trying I do notice a strange error:

WARNING: your system lacks of pthread_setaffinity_np() (not core binding)

But this is said to be part of Ubuntu by default.

Cheers,

Hovsep

Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
The answer is no.

pfcount only works on queue 0. Tcpdump shows null information for the
packets on that queue. All other queues have no activity.

Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Here's what I've tried.

The interface driver looks ok, ixgbe cpu_affinity values use a CoreID on
the NUMA node. RSS is 1,1

When zbalance_ipc is running you can see the point where the data pipeline
to the userspace app is established. Even so multiple userspace apps
cannot access the data stream. Suricata is complaining about invalid
ioctls on each zc interface. PF_Ring tcpdump doesn't work either. Same
for pcount.

I suspected AppArmor although disabling it had no effect. Kernel version
seems ok.

Not sure what else to try other than debugging.

-Hovsep
Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
Hi Hovsep
please provide the zbalance_ipc and pfcount command lines
and output (please do not run any other application in this test)

Regards
Alfredo

Re: PF_RING 7.5.0 on Ubuntu 18.04 [ In reply to ]
I will try something else first, most likely the fix.

Noticed errors in dmesg about the IOMMU so the BIOS setting needs
adjusting. Using iommu=soft didn't work.

Regards,