interface but no interrupts are seen.

Whenever we start tcpdump on the same interface, then interrupts can be
seen.

Can you please help to validate this behavior. Is it expected behavior ? We
need to validate that the interrupts are coming on the cores to which we
have set the affnity.

Regards,

Chandrika
Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
are you using the i40e-zc driver or the standard driver?
Please note that ZC enables interrupts only when required for performance reason,
for example some libpcap-based applications require interrupts as they use poll/select,
instead many pf_ring-based application do not use interrupts at all (they do active polling).

Alfredo

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

Interrupts are not seen either with standard driver or with the zc compiled i40e driver as well.

What we do in our application is -
We load zc compiled i40e driver and put a zc license on that interface but we do not open device using zc: prefix.
Using this we have observed better performAnce in our application when used with ixgbe driver.

Regards,
Chandrika

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

Can you please help on the same and let me know if you need any details further

Regards,
Chandrika

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
are you observing better performance with ixgbe? Please note that ixgbe has a bigger buffer in the card,
this could explain better performance in case of high traffic rate (what is the pps rate in this case?)

Alfredo

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
That’s the secondary issue which we will focus later on.

So let me rephrase the problem statements -
1. This does not involve zc! Problem 1- When we are using our software integrated with pfring 7.5.0, we do not see counters incremented in cat /proc/interrupts/ for the interface from which we are reading the packets.
We are using standard i40e. driver on rhel 7.6 and have reduced the number of queues of this card interfaces to 4 and set the smp affinity explicitly.
Second problem - we can see ksoftirq for the assigned cores taking 100% of CPU due to which we are observing drop at the interface as well.
When we run tcpdump on the same interface, we can see the interrupts counts incrementing using above same command.

2- above observation is same when we deploy zc compiled i40e driver ;

Will there be no interrupts with i40e driver when used with pf_ring ??

Regards,
Chandrika
Sent from my iPhone

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
this is definitely strange: please note that with standard drivers interrupts
are not controlled by PF_RING as they are managed by the driver itself..
this is interesting, I will take a look asap.

Alfredo

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Alfredo,

Have you been able to look at this further ???

Any feedback on ksoftirq reaching 100% continuously.

Regards,
Chandrika

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Query on software using Pfring 7.5 and i40e driver [ In reply to ]
Hi Chandrika
sorry for late reply, I’ve been busy with other activities, the irq rate depends on
the way the application handles poll/select, the traffic rate, and other factors.
This said, I was not able to reproduce the rate you are describing, probably it
also depends on the traffic you have or other conditions.

Alfredo